Chord Machine sounds dull

Amazing vibes.

Of course. Of :anger: course.
It’s obvious, but I hadn’t thought of this!
I was looking for a way to play different chords, live, and record them.
Thing is I was using only 1 track, and it was a pita to program chord change.
2 tracks with e.g. 1 minor and the other major is a very simple way to reach this.
Add a split keyboard (or a keyboard controlling a track and using ST trigs on the other one) and there you go!

Thank you dear! :kissing_heart:

3 Likes

I was thinking about testing midi processing, changing chords type depending on notes with mapped Control Changes.

It should be also possible with midi loopback if you set several midi tracks with different Chord Type CCs. I’m not sure if CCs would be sent playing track trigs, but it should possible with an lfo. Once recorded, midi tracks can be set to synthesis machines…

Or from Octatrack, using Midi Plays Free tracks. That way you can record live different chords on 1 track. Up to 8 different notes/chords type.

The best would be Multimap ! @LyingDalai Did you talk about it during beta testing ?

Nope, but indeed Multimap would be cool :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey, since the Chord machine is too dull … maybe Elektron should add a … Sword machine …

3 Likes

Haha. I gave Syntakt a go. It’s a very cool machine. Workflow is on point for jamming out tracks. I like the sound character so far. I have tried chord too. Very useful machine for certain sounds that I like. I believe the automation is recording in somehow? Great stuff really, maybe the best 999 I have ever spent.

6 Likes

Do you mean when you twist knobs, it is getting recorded to the pattern? This happens when you are in “live record” mode on every Elektron (rec + play buttons) and is really useful for inputting some quick automation!

Glad you’re enjoying it - despite a few limitations, it’s an amazing all in one introduction to Elektron.

2 Likes

Sadly it’s not smooth though. I forget what they call it but I’d like to twist a knob and it records that exact sound and not sound like it’s stepped.

2 Likes

I like it really. I did not know it works on all machines. I will try it on Digitone and Samples. The sound of ST is very capable.

2 Likes

Yeah Elektron’s sequence data is always at a maximum resolution of 1 step, it can’t have anything in between the steps. The bigger boxes have a parameter slide option which alleviates that by smoothly interpolating between the values but for whatever reason that didn’t make it to the Digi format. Not something I miss too much but I can see how it would be a pain for filter sweeps etc.

1 Like

While the sequence is recording, any parameter changes (e.g., knob movements) are recorded as P-Locks and are shown as yellow trigs in grid record mode.

2 Likes

At first the chord machine seemed pretty same-y, but if you put in some effort that feeling vanishes, well for me at least. My research (7x chord machine recorded via overbridge, no FX track (except some ducking for the subbass):

Some minor edits for length, some slight limiting.

I think every machine might be able to pull of almost everything, the cool thing is they al push you in slightly different directions. The chords do sound sweet in ‘init’ mode, but they can really take you places. For anyone’s interest: the shape is 102 for wave, for me the most SAW, punch adds a bit of power, as would overdrive but no overdrive applied.

23 Likes

This sounds really awesome, thanks for sharing!

Interesting setting, and +/-1 around too.
I checked with Unison 2, Balance 0. Some other settings can be interesting too, but using filter, it can be deceiving if you expect respectable saw harmonics. Becoming soap…

1 Like

lovely work!

1 Like

An evening of spare time, so did another one. I really like the one-machine limit :slight_smile:

lil bit of eq cause a bit to much low end, slightly limited. What machine next?

edit: a reminder, if you don’t want parameters to change when using ctrl-all, just lock them to the trigs (i find it very useful to limit the chaos of ctrl-all)

14 Likes

Chords machines only. Hard to mix ! I gave up, maybe I’ll improve this track later with other machines…

9 Likes

More background info from @Ess on the inner workings of the Chord machine (albeit on M:C, but I don’t think that matters much).

2 Likes

It´s more of a house piano / organ / trance stab wavetable setup. At least on Cycles. Which I don´t mind.

You can always layer it with a noise channel now that you have more channels than cycles.

1 Like