Chord Machine sounds dull

Old school additive synthesis only used sine waves to add harmonics. I’ve not dug deep, but I have read people mention both “wavetables” and “additive” when discussing the Chord machine. If it’s pure sine waves, then the brightness will be limited by processor power and interface real-estate. If it’s wavetables or SCWFs as the oscillator sources for the addictive process, I guess there’s a chance Elektron can add noisier waveforms.

(I don’t own an ST. I’m just wasting time when I should be working and day-dreaming a bit)

1 Like

(as ever, Ess says it better than me)

I’d love lo-fi, aliasing, additive-based saw waves in the Chord Machine. I’d also really love aliasing supersaws.

1 Like

I quite like the chord machine for what it is, especially if you tweak it and feed it into the analog low pass filter.

Btw, i just listened to the analog preset sound, Tonitone. It blew my mind :exploding_head:

The manual says “wavetable”, not “additive”.

Edit: Okay, I was wrong. It’s a wavetable of additive synthesis waveforms :stuck_out_tongue:

So what we need is a second set of wavetables, which could be accessible through the track’s Setup page.

2 Likes

It’s a wavetable created using additive synthesis. Read @Ess’s post, it’s quite informative if you want to know more about the Chord machine.

I love it, by the way. In my view it’s a unique way of adding some harmony to my songs.

EDIT:
Couldn’t find the actual post of @Ess I was referring to, but here’s one instance where he talks about it. I might find the more comprehensive post later.

4 Likes

If that’s true, then we’d still ‘just’ need a second set of wavetables, and it’s up to the dear people at Elektron to either use additive synthesis again to create the wavetable or something different right away :wink:

Imagine having an actual saw, and with the Unison × 4 we could have supersaw just like that!

I’d really love to hear some experimental stuff in there.

3 Likes

Poor little chord machine. Everbody’s hating on it. :frowning: I like it for what it is. A nice little chord machine. Nothing more.

9 Likes

I also like it, but it could use some more ”sawy” waveforms with some more bite

1 Like

Seems weird that there is no SAW.
Saw stupid ?
Internal and external midi 4 notes ability of course…(enter chords)
They can.

I do really enjoy playing with it! I just can’t find a place for it in my music. I wish I could.

So I was watching this monomachine video. So the syntakt chord machine possibly comes from the monomachine then? Start at like 18:30 and listen. The chords there sound like syntakt stuff.

It sounds like a chord machine, but I don’t hear the M:C / ST chords in it. Reminds me more of the chord oscillator of the MicroFreak.

MnM has saw in this machine…

1 Like

Oh the irony :joy:

1 Like

Pulled the trigger on ST. Looking forward to Chord. It can’t be that bad. When you have analog fx. To me, ST looks like a very capable canvas that can be whatever you want it to be. Sky is the limit here.

As for poly argument. For that, I have Juno-6, JX3P, Akai AX60, and DSI. So yeah. I think it is actually a very cool thing that it has mono… with delay and some reverb this will get very interesting in no time. I am very happy everything aligned and I could afford it. :slight_smile: <3. Elektron could refresh their marketing dep. though. Look what this guy can do with your machines -> Dataline Live @ Supynes 2017 - YouTube + Dataline (LIVE) / January 7 / 4pm-5pm - YouTube.

5 Likes

Chord Machine definitely can’t even get close to making some of the same basic types of poly sounds these synths can make. It has its own “dullish” sound that sounds more distorted when applying overdrive from the analog FX section or less dull when adding some more higher frequency content with the analog filters.

2 Likes

That’s awesome. I don’t expect it to be a fully fledged poly so fine by me. I am very sure Chord will be good addition to my pallete. Sweet spots. If it will be even remotely useful like similar stuff in modular I am sure it will get used. :slight_smile:.

2 Likes

SY CHORD CHALLENGE? (jk)

5x SY CHORD.
Only Reverb and Delay effect used.

6x SY CHORD
Overdrive FX on sy chord bassdrum and “lead”. It’s meh, but we can share our fails :wink:
[originally i wanted to have the “lead” play in minor seconds so it would sound a bit like that famous Euromasters sound. But it just sounded too bad. So it’s good old minor chord.]

Edit, one more drumsy, actually not bad:

7x SY CHORD

11 Likes

Well me and the kids are dancing

4 Likes