Cheap Romplers/90s Synths Recommedations (Paired with Octatrack)

A little like the Digitone as well with that key arrangement

2 Likes

I’ve got a QY-10 that I can’t recommend in good conscience but it’s wonderfully wretched sounding, especially if you play the sounds a few octaves below their intended range so they degrade into grainy, 12 bit ambience.

One of the best cases of all time, though.

5 Likes

That’s awesome. I’m wanting to get my hands on a terrible piece of gear known as the Yamaha CX5M. I had one for a couple of years but I got rid of it because I wasn’t a masochist at the time. Now I think I want to play this thing again.

1 Like

This thread is making me GAS for this EMU Proteus 2000 for sale in my area. $110 , but not sure if it has any roms loaded. Ugh. Hate gas…

3 Likes

Easy enough to check / can be done from the front panel. Each rom has a code, e.g.

• CMPSR : Composer Rom (Proteus 2000 Standard)
  • BEAT: Beat Garden
  • TSCY: Techno Synth Construction Yard
  • etc.

Or open her up; only a couple of screws, and you’ll see the four rom slots in the front left hand corner (if the front is facing you)

As per post #2; Proteus-2000 is a Turbo version; so gives you 6 outs, 4 slots etc.

I’d skip it if it had no roms at all though…

2 Likes

I’m a little annoyed I never picked up a Proteus 2500 and gained all of the extra pots.

1 Like

A little bit as well… but a Command Station can ease that pain for you :wink:

2 Likes

It was a mistake, though. I’m glad I have it, but I got it an hour before closing time at the last day of a local guitar shop chain’s going out of business sale back in like 2011 and what I really should have done was put everything toward getting the flawless, early 80s, USA made Fender “The STRAT” in fake granite finish with a genuine Floyd Rose and a hot pink logo on the headstock, that they were selling for $175(!!!). I didn’t know what it was at the time (a factory-hotrodded stratocaster model that failed after a couple years because they were too expensive to manufacture at a good profit margin), and it looked so 80s glam that I kind of wanted it just because it was funny but assumed it was some kind of pre-Squier budget line.

Big mistake.

Not to derail the thread but I have that Same Fender HM Strat and it RULES

Really wanna see a pic of this strat now

1 Like

I have always, always wanted a HM Strat.

1 Like

What’s a HM Strat? Never heard of that in 40 years of guitar playing…

Meh, I would rather go for a high-quality Jackson or Ibanez. But that Proteus 2500 looks and sounds great!

At normal market prices I agree, but $175 for that thing was a steal and the custom finish was hilarious in a good way.

A very 80s-looking strat that Fender made that had a locking trem, a shorter scale and a hotter humbucker. HM = heavy metal.

7 Likes

Ah OK, that one never crossed the Atlantic, I guess… looks more like a Charvel to me! But if I come across one for 175… might be fun.

Oh, that was actually the variety I saw, I wasn’t actually aware of that series. So it wasn’t a The STRAT and wasn’t nearly as big a miss. It was one of those but with a fake granite finish from what I remember (but I’m probably misremembering, I bet it was one of those standard marble finishes I’m seeing when I search, although they don’t look familiar).

Definitely a Jackson knockoff, it’s almsot identical to the more affordable, bolt-on Jacksons from the late 80s.

I agree with @Rusty, if it doesn’t have a ROM, I wouldn’t buy it. But if it has a ROM & is in good condition, that’s a good price.

3 Likes

messing with the Kawai K1 that i got for literally 50 bucks

9 Likes

Love the K1.

1 Like