Cheap Romplers/90s Synths Recommedations (Paired with Octatrack)

Cheapest Romplers are available on iPad: Korg M1, Korg Module, Audiokit D1, Synthmaster 2, etc.

2 Likes

This is an awesome thread :pray:

2 Likes

Some new patches for that, not mine (all their videos are good)

Comeon, JD800 is a monster!

Sheep in wolfā€™s clothing :stuck_out_tongue:

Very inspiring stuff. A great demonstration of how a cheap piece of gear can turn into something quite special with a little help.

1 Like

meanwhile, in the UK

might be a bit late for that bargain. (Racks are weirdly a third the price tho)

I did see a Triton rack go for 190 pounds on ebay this week though, which is definitely a lot of bang for little bucks.

Yeah, they stopped being cheap just before and (especially) during the pandemic. Itā€™s really too bad, they used to be underpriced (my Alesis Wedge and K1m combined cost a little over half what Iā€™m seeing people ask for the wedgeā€™s power supply on its own now, and it wasnā€™t THAT long ago) but it has definitely gone too far the other way.

1 Like

Racks donā€™t have the joystick so are much less desirable. That price is insane though, I paid about ā‚¬200 for mine iirc, and that was after I missed one for ā‚¬100 in the local classifieds

The funny thing about that is that the joystick is really basic, and it seems like it would be a lot more useful than it is. If I was going to do it again at todayā€™s prices Iā€™d get a K1r and one of the controllers mentioned earlier in the thread that already has a template available. The only really special thing about the joystick is that itā€™s apparently pretty easy to mod it for CV control. But itā€™s not like the Wavestation or TG33, where the joystick is pretty integral to what makes the synth so good.

1 Like

assumedly itā€™s two CCs anyway?

(he says in no way tempted to buy a rack version)

Sysex I believe, (EDIT: no it is not, see reply) thereā€™s some conversation on other forums on how to deal with it so prob worth a look around

The joystick on the K1/K1m doesnā€™t send or recieve MIDI at all. Itā€™s nothing but a 0v to +5v control voltage passing through a pot for each axis and then be careful to never send it more than +5v or add some kind of protection circuit). I donā€™t know if the K1r implements something similar via MIDI, but since all itā€™s doing is blending between the four layers (ā€œsourcesā€ in Kawai terminology) in the current patch (or entering values in edit mode) you could definitely replicate it with CC.

I donā€™t have the manual handy to get the specific messages, but you would need to adjust volume from 0-127 on source 1 and 127-0 on source two simultaneously for the Y axis, and the same for sources 3 and 4 for the X axis. Iā€™m pretty sure there are CCs assigned to source level, if not youā€™d have to use sysex but it is definitely possible.

2 Likes

Ah, thanks for clearing that up, Iā€™ll edit my post to avoid confusion!

1 Like

It took me by surprise when I got mine, I assumed the joystick would be able to send and recieve MIDI but nope, it really is just a pair of manual crossfaders.

EDIT: you canā€™t even save the joystick status with a patch - you have to manually turn it on every time you power up the synth. Even though itā€™s controlling balance rather than pitch and mod, it has more in common with the joysticks on Korg keyboards than it does with the joysticks on vector synths. Itā€™s fun to have but not a dealbreaker for the K1r IMO. Not like a Wavestation SR, where not having a joystick makes it a lot less interesting (I have the SR and itā€™s handy but Iā€™d really only recommend it for price reasons or for someone who already has an original or an A/D - I went with it back when an SR was around $125 and an A/D was around $200 and the main reason was that the A/D was too deep to fit in my rack case - absolutely the wrong decision).

The K1m and K1r are basically identical otherwise - the UI is the same other than the joystick, but the K1r has the advantage of taking up a lot less space. If I had one instead of the K1m Iā€™d probably use it a lot more often.

3 Likes

K1m + TG33 into OT inputs was a fun setup for me for a while. Color-coordinated, dual joystick madness :joy:

Anybody rocking an NS5R? My friend loaned me one for a minute but I didnā€™t spend much time with it. He made some pretty creative patches with it; it seems very flexible. And itā€™s small.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/korg-ns5r

A lot of the XG devices seem to be among the cheap ones on the piles of used rackmount gear at local stores. Iā€™m covered by the flexible & modulatable XG soundset in my QY100.

But if I ever get bored, I can go back to this store down the streetā€¦

6 Likes

1 Like

Iā€™ll take the SR and the SPX990 plz :+1:

1 Like

Just spent an absolutely fantastic couple of hours getting deeper into the Digitakt/K1m/Syntakt combo, used five midi tracks to sequence and fed into the FX track. I was occasionally looking at the collection of unused things sitting on the desk and imagining the whole setup getting fed into an Octatrackā€¦ :eyes:
The K1m is really something very special, Iā€™ve really gotten the feel for patch programming and looking forward to learning multis next. The joystick on mine isā€¦ janky tbh, but itā€™s just part of the character.

3 Likes

Itā€™s actualyl pretty fast and fun to program, you wouldnā€™t think from looking at the front panel.

1 Like