Cheap analog synth with midi capabilities for OT

I’m looking for a cheap analog synth (or good sounding digital) to pair with my OT. I need:

1. It parameters can be controlled from OT to take advantage from the extra LFO and locks.

2. I must be able to swich patch from the OT using a program change, or a CC or a Note, or something. Or the synth must have less than 10 CC to fully program it from the OT.

3. I dont want to grow old switching pages to program. I want control, the idea is having easy access to the most of parameter for such reason, I prefer avoid synths like blofeld. I already own a Circuit for that.

My firt idea was picking a volca bass, however you cannot switch patch from the OT. If I go to spend more than 500e, i would prefer pay a bit more an purchase an A4, so that would be my threshhold

For cheap digital maybe blofeld desktop (no not this one, OP doesnt want it).
I am not sure what would be a good lower cost analog solution, perhaps microbrute, basstation 2, minilogue for polyphony, discontinued perhaps an evolver desktp or tetra, analog four is a good choice for OT pairing due to similar sequencer and file management capabilities.

Blofeld, or pulse 2 could be your answer.

1 Like

What about the micromonsta? People seem to be raving about the sound, and it’s cheap, small and flexible. You’ll have to check the spec to see if receives prog changes.

1 Like

Basstation 2 ?

Thanks I will check those synths right now - except blofeld o similar. I want an easy edition over program capabilities. I’ve added this in the original post.

Sorry missed your blofeld comment.

If you want something portable… Roland Boutique Juno :slight_smile: Works great with OT, including Patch switching. I use it in my liveset and every bank switches the patch on the juno instantly. Don’t know if you can go mad with hi-freq LFOs, but you could use the internal LFO for fast modulation and the OT ones for slower filter evolving stuff…

1 Like

A s/h earlier Nord Lead (maybe even Nord micro modular) would be a nice partner in most regards i’d suggest … maybe pricey relative to Blofeld (admittedly the Blofeld is Missing Midi Out for bi-directional OT control anyway)

He said analog

Keep reading…

Meeblip triode should also be considered.
There are more CC#s under the hood, and the analog filter is mental.

None of the volcas have program change via cc though :frowning:

. or ‘good sounding digital’, to be exact [quote=“LiquidAgua, post:1, topic:34971”]
I’m looking for a cheap analog synth (or good sounding digital)
[/quote]

I second @AdamJay on the meeblip triode thing is a little BEAST. Its louder and bassier than any of my other synths and such a tiny footprint - it fits well in my live setup. My wife picked this up for me for xmas for about 129$ US wow … what a deal.

I would also suggest another little sonic beast I just picked up Make Noise Music 0-Coast. So many sequencing options and a massive sonic palette you’ll never get bored or run out of sounds. It is a mono synth with technically one oscillator, but similar to the mother32 it can do 2 x sync’d oscillators (or single with sub) and even sounds sometimes like 3 if you count the FM possibilities. I think for 499$ US it’s a definite good choice. I find it really pairs well with the OT too you have all the patching options, but also so many CC’s to control with LFO etc.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Pulse 2 is a good choice but it depends on your sound-aesthetic. The P2 sounds very hard and dark and you have limited direct parameter-access! The BS2 on the other hand gives you plenty of this but with pots.

What about a Moog Sub Phatty? No display, but controllable via midi and for the important parts direct access! I don’t know if it accept prog-change.

I would get something with keys. That’s me, I like playing keys and using the OT sequencer to record the midi while playing. Maybe the minilogue or the blofeld? You want something with mini in and midi out if you like to use keys with the OT. You can then expand to use other modules without keys.
Also consider something used.

If keys are necessary (OP didn’t specify) then I’d also recommend any of the refaces, they’re small, sound good, have midi ports and a great keybed.

Thank you for the replies. I’m digging in the avaliable manuals to check if they can switch patches with any midi message send by the OT. The Microbrute seems very nice (I love complex oscillators) but I do not see in its manual if it accept any MIDI CC or Patch change at all!

I’d like to read the Meeblip triode manual to check if it can change programs, but I do not find it.

The Boutique JX03 seems a solid example about what I’m looking for. The Bassstation too (but I think it’s too limiting in its oscillator synthesis range). The NordLead seems interesting.

I have to read the refaces manual to check if they can switch their programs with midi.

Korg minologue sounds great and with OT could be a banger.