CHARGING ISSUE = A4mkii + Android Tablet + Koala Sampler

Hey!

My Analog Four mkii is linked by USB+USB-C to an Android Tablet (Xaomi Mipad2 with Android 6.0) running Koala Sampler: Midi and Audio working great!! :boom: :boom: :boom:

But here is my issue, the Android Tablet does not charge with the USB cableā€¦ making it die in 15 minutesā€¦ making me :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

It does work well with Apple Ipad & Iphone since there are some adapter to get the Audio/Midi signal and charge at the same timeā€¦ but I canā€™t find a way for Androidā€¦

Have you folks been experiencing same issues? Found a solution? Found a proper adapter?

:orange_heart: :yellow_heart: :green_heart: :blue_heart: :purple_heart:

USB Type-C hub with power delivery. Plug phone into hub, A4 into Hub. Get a USB Type-C laptop charger to plug into hub and provide the power needed for charging.

1 Like

Just ordered one on Amazon >

Letā€™s see how it works!
:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

Youā€™ll need something to do the power delivery part. I ā€œthinkā€ you can just use a phone charger with a type-c cable into the PD port. I purchased this type-c laptop charger from Amazon.

I also had that style of hub for my iPad and found that having it hang in the port would make the connection drop from time to time. To solve the issue, I ordered a hub that has a cable that disconnects. I then ordered longer type-c cable to connect the hub to the iPad so that I could place the hub flat on the table or hidden out of the way. One cable into the iPad. Easy peasy.

I bought this hub from Amazon as well. Itā€™s pricey but itā€™s been bomber solid so far.

1 Like

Interestingā€¦
Testing incoming!
Thanks for the feedback!

You can go this route and also use these adapters with one of the numerous mini USB plugs laying around to power the hub. Itā€™s what I do, works fine.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CR245HY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_5EHW9TE2T9G6J4ZJNPB3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZVKTP53/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_9TWJTSGZ2A5MR3CQ3X0A?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The Analog Four mkii has a USB 2.0 type B port, which cannot supply power. So Iā€™m not surprised that your tablet connected to it doesnā€™t get charged.

Received this item and it doesnā€™t workā€¦
Charging after forced-reboot but the MIDI signal is not received by Kaola Sampler.
Trying another route!

Looks like the hubs can be hit or miss:

This Reddit thread has several people with hit or miss issues with hubs.

I canā€™t find any specs on that tabletā€™s support of specific Type-C chargers/hubs. There is likely a hub that works but youā€™ll have to dig and research to find one. I have an older USB 3 powered hub (Insignia) that does not work at all with my iPad. I have 3 others that do though. Also, Type-C power delivery has different generations IIRC. It could be some flakiness or quirk there.

Edit: It looks like that tablet isnā€™t actually proper USB Type-C 3.1. According to this article nobody has found hubs that work properly. Thereā€™s also a requirement that it be 5V only which is likely going to be difficult to find. It could be the tablet that wonā€™t support a hub with PD and not Android or the version youā€™re using.

When you invest in a newer tablet Iā€™ll wager that hub or any newer variants will work as expected.

Oh ok, the MiPad seems to be the issue then!
Well well well. thanks for the info :star2: :star2: :star2: