Changing your plans/gear buying impulses: Re CoronaVirus

So i was pretty much set on just using an Octatrack & 1 synth (Monologue) But i have 2 Digitakts for sale & was going to buy an additional Octatrack as a spare/back up. But with all this business going on i started to think that hoarding gear is not necessarily the thing i want to do right now. Maybe i just buy the things my heart wants & enjoy them in this time (within budget/reason of course)

Has this situation changed anyone’s purchase plans? (Beyond what’s actually available right now)

1 Like

I’d already decided simplicity and a minimal set-up would be the way forward… Then I heard the postman’s hacking cough yesterday and that really sealed the deal. (Those guys meet everyone. Quarantine your mail!)

2 Likes

I want to buy an OT and use it with my AR and DT - I will make music with no computers from now on given the current situation

Sell your gear and buy all the toilet paper you can buy, is the new bitcoin. :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

Shitcoin :thinking:

17 Likes

Tldr: had no immediate plans for gear, but no more toys as ive got different plans now.

Care to elaborate?

honestly im thanking to no longer even be able to think about buying gear. a shame though as selling what i don’t need also seems to be off the table, not to mention making any money at this point!

Well basically, I’d like to get myself into a position where I can go back to where I grew up (Northern Rivers, NSW) or somewhere similar; with the ultimate goal of achieving some level of self-sufficiency. It’s actually been on my mind for quite some time now as I’ve always despised city living - only it’s never really been anything more than a nebulous idea. Right now, with the storm approaching and not a lot I can do about sheltering from it, I’m despising my previous life choices (or lack thereof) more than usual.

This COVID-19 bullshit has really given me the kick in the pants I needed to start taking charge of my life and working towards achieving concrete goals instead of just drifting along. So even though I currently have few expenses and getting a decent grad job would give me a pretty comfortable lifestyle with enough left over to buy some interesting and fun toys, I’d much prefer to put any extra money into fulfilling a much grander goal.

And if we end up in another depression era where there’s no hope of pulling off my goals, then I strongly suspect that I should be hanging on to every spare dollaridoo in case of emergencies.

14 Likes

That was my goal 14 years ago. I did it. Today i’m in the country, first neighbourg at 1 km from me. Wife (as happy as I am), cats , animals that lived around, garden with food growing and even amazon if I need new gear :wink:
That’s the right goal.
When Corona began, and when i’ve been told to stay at home, it was like a dream. My wife can’t earn money for the moment, she’s independant, but I can, cause I work for the state.
The best period ever lived.
So achieve your idea as soon as possible, keep your gear, you won’t regret it once in the country.

10 Likes

Sounds like you’re living the dream - well done for going after it and succeeding!

1 Like

I was on track to fund a Digitakt from some money I made selling a Yamaha AN200 and a few digital sales of my music. I keep hearing the Digitakt and Digitone is a beast of a combo. However, now I’m holding off on all purchases. I was actually going to buy a new car too as mine is now 20 years old, but that also flew out the window. Hunkering down financially seems the smartest move at this point.

luckily, no.
i bought all gear i need (either music and bike) right before quarantine.
i asked myself last month why i spend on gear literally all money i have, and isn’t my behavior unreasonable.
but it turned that it was reasonable AF, and my intuition somehow rocks.

2 Likes

I was selling off some gear so I could get a model:samples to just mess around with during my downtime since I no longer have a digitakt, but with how everything is going down I’m probably just gonna keep that money in my pocket for now. Every day more and more shops around me are closing down and people are getting more and more aggressive which is making the impact that much more real.

very caffeinated, so bare with me…

It’s definitely made me realize what I already knew, and that is that I have all that I need.

One of the great things about Elektron boxes is their ability to be singular for track making.

But yea, I took stock of what I actually have and what I can do with it.
I have M:S, A4, AK, and OT in my studio. I could use any combination, or just one.
Hell, there are 5 different ways I can use the OT by itself. Looking forward to exploring some of those.
My M:C is on loan to a good friend too so that will become an option again.
I think once it gets back I’ll pair it with A4 and dedicate M:C for kick and hats to really open the A4’s 4 tracks up.

Lots of variety available that I have and hadn’t realized.
If I had to let go of the A4 for financial reasons, I could.
I’ve also considered trading it for a 2nd OT, since 2OT+AK might be smarter than OT/A4/AK. But that would be mostly for gigging and those hopes are pretty dashed.

I also have 3 limiters for some dumb reason, and 18 inputs into my DAW plus Overbridge. A few midi controllers and a couple USB MIDI hosts. I’m set.

A pair of headphones and a groove box is my anti-anxiety medication right now. So it’s good to have a few options if I get stuck in one mode. Also really looking forward to warmer weather to get out and do some yard work.

But to get back to the original question… I was going to sell my DDJ-1000 soon, I probably still should try. Also a Bogner Harlow that I haven’t been using (used it more when I had a pair of them)

Plus Ylva’s new M4L Sun Drums drum machine is a revelation of usability and a modern spin on classic sounds.. That and a couple Reaktor ensembles should get me through this awful crisis alone.

5 Likes

Well, right now I won’t buy anything anymore any time soon.

The NOK valuta has totally tanked and everything has become 30-40% more expensive overnight.

I have been totally unmotivated to jam out since ya know, the revolution has been televised. Too bad you can’t play music once you’ve moved on to the next dimension of time and space. All those wasted circuits and modulation possibilities!

Then a realized it’s all just stuff and doesn’t really matter. Then I remembered music is life and I would be incomplete without it. So I wrote a jam about the end of existence and a bird that rises from the ashes of humanity. I guess it’s just time to make more music and buy less stuff!

3 Likes

Word is, ‘they’ will wipe all individual debt as an incentive to abolish physical money/cash to obstensibly eradicate money laundering, drug dealing and human trafficking/prostitution/peadophilia/peadovores but then again ‘they’ are the ones who peddle this cycle so maybe ‘they’ are having trouble themselves, too many whitehats on the inside.

But still, enjoy your life, enjoy it to the max. It’s all you really have! Fuck it!

2 Likes

so then, definitely preorder the PRO-3 SE on payments.

got it! :thup:

6 Likes

We don’t know how will be the future, so I ordered my dream synth of all time: Perfourmer MKII. Using with DT is perfect.
If it will not crisis, maybe I would wait a little more before spending 1200€. But this situation made me realise it’s now or maybe never.
So yeah, the Perfourmer is here, on my desk. I love it. :slight_smile:
I don’t plan to buy anything else for a long time.

4 Likes