Changing memory settings stops playback on static machines (and a solution!)

I think I found a bug (unless it’s user error), and a solution in case anyone runs into this issue:

Problem:
I had a nice pattern going and wanted to record some bass. The record buffers weren’t long enough, so I enabled dynamic recording. Suddenly all my tracks were quiet, they didn’t even switch to the play icon when I hit play (except the thru-machine on T7)!

Solution:
Turns out I could fix it by going into audio edit mode (AUD) and preview a slice (FUNC+YES). From then on, the track played as normal. Did this to all the other tracks too, and boom! Back to normal.

Edit: A quicker solution is to save and reload the project after changing memory settings, if you have lots of samples in the static sample pool (Thanks @Clancy!)

1 Like

This is normal.
When you go into memory setting (to get at dynamic recorder options) a pop does tell you playback will be stopped when saving new settings.

It does, but when I hit play afterwards, the stop icons on the static tracks didn’t change to the play icon, it only happened on the thru-track on T7. Going into AED and previewing a slice on the static tracks changed the behavior back to normal when hitting play.

Weird. cant say Ive ever seen that behaviour.
I have a MK1, shouldnt make any difference though. Same OS.

Have you double tapped stop then play?

I just tried changing the memory settings again (16s to 17s buffer length), the “playback will be stopped” message popped up. When I hit play, the static tracks don’t change to the play icon, but the thru-track does, and I saw that neigbhbour track on T2 and master track does so, too.

Edit: oh, and I tried double-stopping, too.

An old bug

1 Like

It’s quicker to do a project reload

1 Like

There has been some improvement over the years - memory setting changes used to mute all the flex slots too iirc

Change the memory settings, save the project, then reload the project?

Yes - unless you have only a few static slots in use - in which case I do what you’ve found - play the samples in the editor to bring them back

Just not something you want to do with lots of slots (it mutes the ones not assigned to machines too)

1 Like

Ahh, that’s good to hear! I was worried that saving the project when the samples wouldn’t play back would ruin it, so I didn’t try that. I have a handful of samples in the static sample slot that are sample-locked (instead of using the track’s default sample slot), so saving and reloading the project is a quicker solution for me. Thanks!

1 Like