CF CARD error

Loving the octatrack. What a great invention. But I keep getting the following message when I try to load samples from my PC onto the memory card:

“An unexpected error is keeping you from copying the folder. Error 0x8007045D: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error”
O.S Windows 8.1 64bit

The PC sees the card and I can copy files from the card to the PC but not the other way round UNLESS I format the card first. I can then copy files to the card which are correctly read by the Octatrack. But once the computer shuts down and I try to copy more files again the next day I get the error message above and have to format the card again.
I am using the supplied elektron USB cable and have tried a variety of different USB ports and still get the same problem. I have also tried using my laptop (Windows 7) and the same thing happens.

Can anyone help?

Best

Joe

Never heard of anyone having similar issue to what you´ve got. If you haven´t already: contact support. They may be able to guide you to pinpoint the problem.

Cheers. Got response from support thus afternoon. They are puzzled by it and think I may have a faulty card. Have offered to send me a new one. So hopefully all will be well. I’ll post to say if the new one works since in case anyone else has a similar problem.

I was just about to dive into the Year Long OT Science Lab tonight and set about trying to transfer stuff from computer to the OT for the first time. I encountered this error on two computers also and I’m a little disheartened that this was the only thread I could find when I searched. I guess that I should contact Support unless anyone else has had experience of this in the last 3ish years??

I would go ahead and just buy a new card, CF can honestly just die for no reason.

2 Likes

Cheers, I think you could be right. I was able to copy things off it no problem but no amount of coaxing would allow me to copy stuff on plus Windows was reporting a “volume may be corrupted” when I swapped into USB disk mode.

I found an old (like 10 year old) 1Gb CF card in an old DSLR camera and had a go at copying stuff on… for a laugh. Worked first time. So, I’m having a go at formatting the 16Gb card that came with the OT (second hand I should say) which seems to be taking an age but hopefully that’ll fix it. If not, then I can order a new one.

1 Like

Hey, sorry for necroing this thread - but I figuered it has value for someone else googling the same issue.

I just encountered the same problem. I tried moving each individual folder, and realized that the problem was a “.” in the name of a folder. It seems Windows was confused by it, thinking it was a file name extension or something.
Everything but that folder worked fine to transfer, and after renaming it (in the Octa, windows couldn’t do it) everything works as it should!

5 Likes

Good bump @mugwump

!

I’m a poet and didn’t know it :laughing:

3 Likes

@Hank_Astral
Any chance you found a way around this? Did a new card fix the issue?
I’m having the exact same problems right now.

Sorry to revive an old thread!

@mugwump Hey not sure if you’re still here / remember what this issue was for you?

I just recently made a beat and can’t for the life of me transfer any files related to that specific project, but all other files in the same Audio pool transfer fine.

Hey @aarb420. I remember the issue. My problem was the periods screwing with how windows files are named (I think).
I’d try to rename the files/folder to something very basic, no special symbols or spaces and stuff (something like “ThisBeatBops”), and try copying it again.
Hope it helps, cheers

3 Likes

@mugwump thank you so much for your reply and for sharing the knowledge! I actually did exactly that the other day not expecting a response, and briefly journeyed to hell and back switching between projects and taking notes to have as “fresh” of a project as possible :rofl:

Still not certain, but I’m leaning towards your recommendation being the actual solution, with the culprit being a sample loaded on T1. This is a rare scenario though, and I think the same sample may have caused a similar error on an older project. Also, still unsure whether it’s because the original project/recorded file is named COM (so, COM.wav; short for Commodores), and maybe the PC thought that the file was malicious.

Regardless, PROBLEM SOLVED! Thanks, again! :beers: :partying_face:

2 Likes