Can't use scenes to change filter distortion, right?

I tried to change the filter distortion with a scene. I couldn’t. It’s not possible, right?

Right. Only the parameters on the first page can be assigned to a scene. @sezare56 might have some clever workaround, tho :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’d say yes, it’s possible! DIst also depends on input signal, hence VOL. There is a kind of threshold.

Once I experimented that, cranking DIST, lowering VOL till it matches normal level without DIST.
Edit : forgot to mention that of course you can use VOL or XVOL (overriding VOL plocks) as scene assignments.

I made that with phase cancellation test, so apparently no loss doing that.

Enjoy !

11 Likes

Amazing! I knew you would have a solution :slight_smile:

1 Like

Could have not work, but I tested it successfully once. Hope it still works !

In France we say impossible is not French. I’m pretty sure we’re not the only pretentious country in the world! :content:
And I’m Breton, they have a stubborn reputation. Can help with OT. :wink:

5 Likes

Fantastic, merci!

1 Like

Not marvelous example, but I just did this with one track, 4 md samples, filter (with Dist 64 and VOL 32 for “clean”) and compressor.
Should give an idea. Scene A (neutral) for 2 bars, then messing with xfader.

7 Likes

Just yesterday I watched a video saying OT effects are dogshit and you post something like this! I never thought lower volume + filter distortion would equal the original sound, very nice info!!

2 Likes

You can also use the Distorsion of the LOFi which is plockable.

1 Like

Sure. They are different though. And Filter Dist modify filter behaviour.
They can be combined.
It’s interesting to try LOFI before Filter btw.

7 Likes

OT effects are awesome!

3 Likes

I like them too but I understand if someone comes from a DAW where they have hundreds of VST effects then they can be underwhelming. It was a video on why the OT is bad, I watched it out of interest… the guy listed 8 reasons and I think most of them were just one reason: “you have to know how to use it”. There might have been one I agreed with but I forget what it was.

2 Likes

I know, I am just playin. I am the Octatrack guardian!

Just lo-fi distortion before filter? Sounds amazing. And then there is the bitcrushing, SSR and AM stuff as well. OT is such a good destruction (in a good way) box of tricks. With neighbour machines, LFOs, xfader, it’s near enough endless :yellow_heart:

1 Like

Yeah this sounds amazing. Gonna have to try this out tomorrow

1 Like

I saw that video too. I think that guy is funny and knows the OT well but he misses that when you can get really great filters and distortion out of a box, that is a huge win. He was talking about the reverbs, etc and those are all just icing really.

The core sounds like @sezare56 are dialing up are what its all about, imo.

Yes. AM sounds better with phase retrig (set to 90). I maxed all parameters in lofi except AM freq, tuned to a note.
Envelope filter.
Compressor Eq on master.

3 Likes