Can't transfer samples to Machinedrum

Hello everyone,

I understand this is a reoccurring issue as there are plenty of posts about this. Yay Elektron!! BUT, many of the posts related to MD sample transfer are somewhat old. I have a few questions, especially for people who still use MD to this day. I am having a hard time transferring samples to MD.

Spec:

• I am using Mac, and my OS is Mojave. c6 version is 1.51, and MD is 1.63.
  • Tm-1 Midi interface.
  • Mode:closed loop (i.e., both MD In and MD out connected)
  • The MD is 2010 model sps1-uw+

A bit of rant:
It blows my mind the they put out the device in 2010, and Elektron didn’t bother to provide features like transferring samples via USB, memory stick, or another for of transferring samples instead of this archaic method). Didn’t we solve the issue of transferring audio files back in like 2003 (e.g, mp3 players?), or Akai MPC 1000? I mean seriously, and they called the “Drive” feature a “MAJOR” update lol.

Problem:

1. I open c6.
  2. I select sample mgr, find an empty slot, and set MD to receiving mode.
  3. Load the sample into c6 in wave format, and then press send.
  4. The out light on TM1 starts blinking, but the no sign of the sample getting transferred on MD itself. It just sits there saying it’s waiting with 0% progress.

C6 Config:
midi in and midi out both have TM1 selected.
Delay is set to 0.
SDS REC format is WAV
All the boxes for sample settings are unchecked.

Thank you for your time :slight_smile:

Have you got the midi cables the right way round? TM1 Out->MD In and MD Out->TM1 In, not Out->Out and In-In.

Might seem obvious, but I’ve seen people do that.

3 Likes

Instead of C6 you could try converting the samples to SDS using something like SoX and then transferring with Sysex Librarian.

Since I exclusively use Linux on my computers I’ve never used C6, but I’ve never had any trouble loading samples into the MD-UW+ using other software.

2 Likes

Ok @PofM it took you like what 6 seconds to figure out an issue that I was having for 2 days? It was the first one :slight_smile: Seriously though what gave it away in my question? Thought the MIDIs on TM-1 are interchangeable, and was ignoring the arrows. You are a life saver and this made my Friday <3 Appreciate your response and at the same time I feel very very dumb.

1 Like

I will give this a shot too, I am actually linux user myself, and have used sox in the past.

You didn’t explicitly say how you connected it, and that’s one of the first things I would check if I was having trouble. First rule of tech support, don’t assume anything is set up correctly, even if the user tells you it is :wink:

If you can use Linux then this works well:
https://github.com/bsl/send-sds

1 Like

Wow awesome, thanks for the link to the repo! I’m gonna switch to that, and run it on my main machine, since this MacBook is pretty old and slow… You truly are a life saver.

Hello I wanted to take advantage of the theme, because I’m having the same problem!

In my case, I already made sure that the MIDIS are connected correctly, as mentioned above.

But I have difficulty on the path inside the MD where to look?

To receive a sample on the MD go to global -> SAMPLE MGMT -> RECV -> pick a slot

2 Likes

are the sysex settings correct?

but do not leave this screen in md!!