Can't select Turbo Speed MIDI setting

I can’t select the Turbo Speed MIDI setting on my AR no matter what I try. I’m plugged directly into a port (no hub) using the cable in the box. I’m using USB-only for the MIDI In/Out settings. I’ve tried different ports, different cables, rebooted PC and AR, etc. There is no way for me select Turbo Speed. I have no problem enabling Turbo Speed on my A4.

Any ideas why this might be happening?

I always thought this was just for use with the TM-1. What’s wrong with the USB signal - is there a lag?

“Turbo Speed” is listed in the manual once. This is exactly what the manual says:

“TURBO SPEED press [YES/SAVE] to start the turbo speed negotiation. Speed is chosen automatically”

That doesn’t exactly tell me much. If it’s not useful without the TM-1, great. The manual could be more clear, though. I see a turbo setting enabled in the C6 app so perhaps that’s all I need to be concerned about.

1 Like

Hi

I formatted the +Drive and was stuffing the AR with a ton of stuff, when I first started injecting its brains with sample fodder over USB only I had the basic midi speed. (I have a TM-1 so I’m familiar with is speed when its doing ts turbo thing)

A couple of things that I tried before it kicked into life and I was getting what is the TM-1 turbo speeds.

Check SDS and SDS handshake are both ticked, make sure both the USB I/O is highlighted for AR in C6

In AR Global/Midi config/midi port config make sure you have midi in and out set to USB only as having the midi port jointly on can interfere with the speed. (I have these settings permanently set up as another global just for this purpose) I see you have this setup anyway.

I have to ask but just check you have the latest V1.5 of C6 in use.

Boot the AR-Open C6, if the turbo button is not already highlighted try manually setting the turbo speed to x8/other in turbo limit and see if the turbo button is now hopefully engaged (if it hasn’t already done so)

If no joy after these settings, power down the AR, close C6, boot AR, open C6

I think the reason it works like a TM1 is its still effectively using SDS protocols except its got a USB 2 port to play with easily giving the bandwidth.

It indeed works and its not too bad at all, at this point it would be a real killer if you couldn’t at least get your stuff in there at a fairly decent basic speed and with the Turbo SDS even given how ancient and slow it is compared to the speed of USB/compact flash etc its perfectly usable (if you can get it working of course) because AR sample playback and wrecking even at this stage is wonderful.

I suspect in the future with Overbridge and or even with just an AR update dumping samples may well be much easier and even faster as it will just be seen as an additional mountable drive (hopefully, unless of course there is something in the + drive design that dosen’t allow this, I think its just a chunk of RAM/Mini Solid state drive?, anyone know for sure?)

Hope this works for you, I have had it working no problem since mucking around.

PS I’m OSX here just in case there is a platform issue

Hey guys,

Just received my Rytm. Is the Turbo Mode usable for connections between Elektron machines (for example between an Octatrack & a Rytm) and does it bring any advantages over a standard connection ?

I found out today that if the MIDI AUTO CHANNEL is set to 1 - turbo mode will not kick in. It took quite some time to find out - because I’ve been using channel 1 quite a lot. Ahh… finally I can breathe!

3 Likes

I’ve had no luck with speeding up my transfers, even after having checked all the comments around here and made sure my settings were alright…
I noticed a couple things though.

• The transfer speed depends on the file for me. Oddly enough, a 96KHz/24bits file that I tested is transfering much faster than a 48KHz/16bits file of the same size that I had prepared for this in soundforge. but when I say faster it is in now way near to the transfer speed I see in the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MliQZYlGKPU
  • I can tick the Turbo Speed button on C6 but I have never been able to tick it in my AR Global/Midi config/Midi port config.

I started sending a batch of 96 files for a total of 44Mo, and after 20 minutes and 22 files copied I just saw that the names were not there :sob: (even though the SDS was checked in C6 beforehand, and my previous uploads had the name there…)

This is reaaaally disappointing and frustrating to see such an archaic file system on such a recent and expensive piece of hardware… :-1:

But I gotta say I love this AR, even with a crappy file system !

1 Like

So I’m not clear on this either. I have the Elektron set to USB only, as has been said, I can not activate turbo on the RYTM box.

Is this only available with their ‘turbo’ module ? or should I be able to activate a turbo mode between c6 and the RYTM itself ?

I have found on occasion that transfers slows a lot for some reason, and leaving the RYTM off for a few seconds and turning back on then improves the speed a lot …ram issue ?

Also I have found file names that are similar, I.e kick001 , kick002 etc, quite often get overwritten by each other when transferring, so you have to batch rename sometimes.

I can’t seem to fill her up though, I have Maschine expansions as well as some Goldbaby stuff and some other classic kits.

Does this mess up any incoming midi signal, not having it auto set to channel 1? What do you have it set to instead?
I send midi from pro tools to my A4 a lot and don’t wanna gunk up anything there.

yea seems i’ve lost the ability to enable turbo too… i got a hunch its because i changed midi settings, but have checked it all and disabled modifications i had made… and reset to be usb only. might try and figure it out or do a factory reset, but there must be something blocking it.

uploading without turbo is super slow :confused:

any update on this problem?

Same problem here :disappointed: I can check turbo in C6 only if i select Midi in and out ports in the config, but no way in the AR so transfer speeds are terrible.

My unit have the 1.02E Firmware.

I contacted with Elektron support and waiting for an answer…

to set the turbo on the Analog 4, you have to connect both the midi in and midi out to another machine that has the turbo capability.

for example:

i have my A4 connected to my OT, both midi in and out connected and now i can select my Turbo setting on the A4

My understanding is that the AR side Turbo button is for DIN connections to other devices with which it can negotiate a speed, be it the TM1 or A4 etc
To get the faster transfer speeds you use the Turbo button and tick Top two sds related checkboxes too in C6, make sure Midi I/o is USB only
Works fine for me, no need to check the uncheckable Turbo box in the AR
Only just tried it, so may be missing some nuances fwiw

Any new insights on this issue? Uploading samples is super slow without turbo mode…

Cenk detailed the order of things elsewhere, it is important to restart if it seems 10x slower, it’s possible to break it into a slow mode if you mess with buttons etc - You cannot use Turbo via midi (meant to type USB), it’s implicit, just set the other two toggles and search out Dataline’s post

thx

Aren’t you guys discussing two separate things here:

1. If the /midi config/midi port config/“turbo speed”-setting checkbox is possible to change.

From what I understand this setting is never showing anything else then an unchecked checkbox. Perhaps the mentioned midi interface from Elektron is needed. That doesn’t mean that the machine isn’t in “turbo” mode when transferring data using C6.

2. If the speed you’re getting really is “turbo” or regular midi transfer speed.

Secondly ten times (at best) regular midi transfer is “turbo” for sure but still no where near the data transfer speeds that you might expect compared to USB2 hard drives and flash memory today.

In the Straight808 sound pack documentation from Elektron it says that transferring the total of 6.22 megabytes of samples will take approximately 15 minutes. That’s the ballpark figures to use when determining if you got “turbo” or not I would say.

Personally I’m getting speeds up to 18kbs when transferring samples. Not exactly a white knuckle ride.

I don’t know if it answers the q, but i tidied up my typo. I’m fairly clear on this, you can use Turbo over DIN and get up to 10 times the standard midi transfer rate, you can also get 10x the standard midi transfer rate if C6 is playing nice, it’s sadly possible to find yourself using C6 with it having lost its speedy mode which the user can’t engage over usb anyway, it should just happen, but button clicking can mess that up, and yeah at 10x midi transfer rate it is still painfully slow, it worked ok for me, but i was able to nudge it into 10x the pain mode, so following Cenk’s order should help avoid that pitfall - and as LarsErik points out it’s good to have a realistic transfer rate in mind so you don’t go assuming it ought to be faster than it would be if you swapped a usb chord for a TM-1 and midi cable

I think i was maybe commenting on the Turbo button inaccessibility within the AR os

it put me right off using my pricey blofeld SL upgrade for its intended use, it’s such a workflow killer when inspiration strikes, but neither waldorf nor elektron have done this to spite us all, best make peace with it

On page 54 in the Analog Rytm User Manual the following quote is found:

[ul]
[li]If the Analog Rytm sends or receives SysEx data through the MIDI ports, use the Elektron TM-1 USB MIDI interface for up to 10x transfer speeds. [/li]
[/ul]

I suppose this means that turbo speed is only achieved through using a TM-1?

Also on page 60 the TM-1 mentioned again:

[ul]
[li]If the Analog Rytm receives the OS upgrade through the MIDI ports, use the Elektron TM-1 USB MIDI interface for up to 10x transfer speeds. [/li]
[/ul]