Can't figure out how to set up overbridge in bitwig. Please help

here is what I have done:
Downloaded newest version of overbdrige and Analog Rytm OS.
Opened the plugin. It is communicating with the AR, changing parameters and stuff.
Checked that the overbridge dashboard is working. Audio is coming in there just fine.
Opened an audio track to get the sound into the daw from the plugin.
… and thats where I’m stuck I can’t see how I am get audio from the plugin and into the audio track…

I tried to use the template project that was uploaded here last winter. Doesn’t work.

Can somebody explain to me what I have to do and why?

thank you.

Sure i made the Bitwig Template.

Can you give me all informations
PC or Mac ?
OS version :
Overbridge Version :
Analog Rytm Firmware :
Bitwig Version :
What you have plugged (hardware, soundcard, midi etc…) :

Have you followed the Overbridge Manual P36 “APPENDIX B: SETUP EXAMPLE”

2 Likes

Bitwig and overbridge : Important Part (Missing Chains)

Missing Chains

(Next Overbridge version will be released in February.)

1 Like

Thank you!

Mac, El Capitan, Overbridge 1.15, AR 1.31B, Bitwig(idk, I just got it 2 weeks ago, so I guess the newest version)

Plugged in: prophet 12 on USB, Roli Seaboard on USB, Focusrite saffire PRO40 on firewire, and obviously Analog Rytm.

The missing chains tip got me a bit closer! I clicked add missing chains, amd can now see the audio coming into the OB plugin. And I can see the different voices coming into the different chains. I can also hear the audio from overbridge in my speakers. :slight_smile:

But I’m only almost there! I went to the audio tracks, clicked input and selected BD3/4 PRE etc. No sound is coming in… Can you imagine what could cause that?

EDIT: A little closer yet! The meter in the audio track doesn’t show any incoming signal. But when I started a recording it worked! So now I just need to figure out why the audio track isn’t processing the audio. I won’t be able to add live effects like this.

What i would do, i would go back to the basics and then when the minimal worked i add things on top

• To eliminate the most possible. Please could you try with only Mac + Analog Rytm plugged with USB.
    Use the internal inputs and outputs for now (not the Focusrite)

• then made your configurations exactly by following :
    Overbridge Manual P36 “APPENDIX B: SETUP EXAMPLE”

• Set Overbridge as 24bits - 48000kHz same for Bitwig Audio/Mac internal audio

• Settings are Buffer at 64 on both Bitwig Studio and Overbridge if you have problem pass it at 128
    Margin is at 50 (same if problem pass it at 75/100)

THEN Tell me :wink:

Why i tell you to setup first by the basics is because if you don’t then you will ask why SYNC is not fine … so i anticipate that…
But i think your problem is probably Monitoring Audio track incoming audio in Bitwig audio tracks (probably)

Personal note : i wait to have the next Overbridge version to update all the templates to the DAW current version. i personally moved to mark 2 of Elektron Devices so i can’t investigate better. So i do that with memories :stuck_out_tongue:

Have you activated audio channel in OB Panel ? sorry to ask but it can be that…

Hi again! I’ve been away, but I managed to try what you suggested. No luck.

I am at my parents place for christmas and I have brought a windows 10 laptop, bitwig, roli and Rytm with me.

I am getting the exact same results as on the mac.

Audio comes into the OB control panel, and into the plugins different chains just fine. I can also hear it in my speakers.
I then open up an audio track, click the input select and set it to analog rytm->analog rytm chains->BD3/4 Pre. The meter in the OB plugin instrument track and the individual chains show audio coming in. But the meter on the audio track set to get it’s input form a specific chain shows nothing. Audio is clearly coming in though. Because if I press record I get audio recorded(though the meter didn’t show anything during recording either)

I have found out that it has nothing to do with the overbridge pllugin. It is the same if I make an audio track and set it to receive audio form any other VST instrument…

Opened an audio track to get the sound into the daw from the plugin

I read again your post… You set an audio track to record audio from the plugins BUT you don’t have to set an audio track to get audio from the plugin, the plugin is drag and drop on an instrument track and normally you will hear the sound from the RYTM (the master or main outputs) firstly on this instrument track… No need to going on more advanced routing for now.

You drop the Overbridge Analog RYTM plugin on an instrument track (you must see a Keyboard as icon for the instrument track). Then you click on play on your RYTM and the sound should be hear. If it’s not ? you probably have a problem in the Audio Preference of Bitwig…

Yes. I got that part. I have sound in the daw from the plugin working perfect. The problem is about the tracks where I will record the drums.

I thought that I should be able to see the audio coming into the recording tracks… So that if I want to add a phaser plugin to the hi-hat I’ll just drag the phaser plugin onto the hi-hat recording track…

How do you set up your routings to add effects to the drums?

That’s the Overbridge Analog Rytm, session file in Bitwig 2.2.3 … i put the screenshot after
Overbridge_AnalogRytm.zip (8.2 KB)

Session cover recordings and your phaser… it’s not a full operational session covering MIDI + AUDIO

Basically, you have your Overbridge Analog Rytm Plugin on one Intrument Track (more if you want to control AR on the midi parts…) But we stick with one Intrument track for now.

Then you have 1 audio Tracks for the stereo master then 8 channel to cover the needs of Main output + individual channels.

All then is assigned on inputs from Overbridge Analog Rytm missing chains and we use POST ( which means POST mixer fader… I prefer POST to PRE Fader in Bitwig)

Then you put your phase on an Effect tracks i create 3 on this session and assign the Phaser to the Hats channel.

NB : Don’t forget Closed Hihats and Open Hihats are both on the same channel, if you want to separated those sounds you need to record it TWICE.

“Tool” Width to 0 to set your tracks in MONO

Typical-Bitwig-Masterstrip-Insert

Thanks Will! That looks like a really nice way to do it. I’m going to dedicate my christmas jams 50% to you 50% to santa :smile:

Only trouble I’m having now is that the audio engine crashes whenever I try to record one of the “dual-voices”.

So I can record BD, SD, BT, LT just fine. But if I try and swap one of them for RS-CP or one of the others Bitwigs audio engine crashes. You wouldn’t happen to have heard about something like that before?

1 Like

VI dont remember that. Go in preferences and set plugins in their own process. Maybe it will fix your issue… try different settings for audio buffer (dont forget same value for bitwig and ob panel) try also margin value and as well as 16bits 48000 for the recordings… you will have to find the most stable values for your computer…

If the Each plug-in option were selected, each plug-in is loaded within its own process, isolating every plug-in and the audio engine so that any single crash won’t affect the other ongoing processes. This option requires the maximum CPU resources while also providing maximum stability
It look like the picture but its from bitwig 1.1

I got it working! It was about the buffer size. Now it’s time to make some music.

And once again. Thank you so much Will, you’re the best. A merry christmas!

1 Like

You are welcome on Elektronauts the Best forum on the WEB PLANET :wink:
A merry christmas @Dream-Synthesizer to you and your family ! Don’t forget them music can wait

1 Like