Cannot put duplicate samples in Digitakt from external drum maps

Hi all. I have just bought the excellent Algonaut Atlas drum map software and created several custom drum kits super quick - 8 samples in each kit, ready to be loaded into Digitakt using the Elektron Transfer program.

But guess what - it won’t let me load any of the samples if they are already in the Digitakt, even if I give them new, unique sample names. This is really annoying. I imagine that this is designed by Elektron to save space on the +Drive (Elektron Transfer clearly has some clever way of identifying duplicate samples, even if they are named differently), but I would much rather create custom kits easily in Atlas and then drag and drop them into Digitakt, even if some of the kits and the +Drive incoming folder feature some duplicate samples.

Hope this makes sense (see attached screen grab) and I would be grateful for any comments/fixes from Elektron and fellow Elektronauts. Many thanks in advance.

This is how it’s supposed to function. Sample on the dt are identified using a hash number, not their names. This way projects can find the appropriate samples on the +drive even if they are renamed or moved. Duplicate samples would cause problems. So, The dt will not let you load duplicate files.

1 Like

Hi and thanks for the quick reply.

I understand the logic. However, is there any way for users to duplicate samples and assign different hash numbers to them (either inside Digitakt or on their PC) so that if like me, they want to organise drum kits outside of Digitakt and then import them, they can, without being constrained by this feature?

If they are completely identical, no. You have no access to the hash generation in the Digitakt.

But: Just modify one of the samples slighty (a single value +/- 1 will do) and the hashes become differently.

1 Like

Do you mean change the existing samples in the +Drive by changing one parameter by one unit (e.g. Amp Decay) and saving the sound using Export Sound - am a DT newbie - please can you explain some more.

Editing sound parameters won’t change the underlying sample itself. So it has no influence on the hashing.

You need to modify the sample content itself. This is best done BEFORE you import the sample to the DT, because then you can do such slight changes (modifying just a single value so it will sound the same and has the same length) with a much more sophisticated audio editor.

3 Likes