Can you use Model Cycles with a mono output?

Hey guys, I’ve been thinking of getting a Model Cycles but I only have one mono input remaining in my mixer. Looking at the photos of the back it just has a left and right output with no label for mono. I’m guessing this is because the delay/reverb are stereo. Can the MC not be used with a mono output?

I don’t think the delay and reverb are stereo.

You can pan each track, and set Pan as an LFO destination, they’re the only stereo functions I’m aware of. If you leave the track pan centred or hard to one side, and don’t use Pan with the LFO, there’s no reason you couldn’t use one of the outputs for mono out.

2 Likes

So it is a real stereo output rather than dual mono?

Yes! I did this the other day for a live set. I only had one input left over on my OT for my Cycles so I just panned everything hard left. It’ll screw with any delay and reverbs obviously, but not so much as to rule them out of use - they just won’t sound wide or as lush etc etc

1 Like

Hmm, so it does really need to be stereo but you can get away with mono with some workarounds. I might not get it in this case

Oh, I wasn’t trying to put you off. I love my Cycles as an immediate and semi-flexible (especially with Control All) drum machine. In fact, as I tend to sample it into OT, I use it in mono anyway and add the OT effects instead :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was thinking sampling it into my MC-707, so maybe I don’t need to worry

1 Like

I use it as two monosyths sometimes, delay is mono and does not leak to the other output; reverb is stereo

2 Likes

I just bought one, should arrive Tuesday :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think you mean it s stereo but doesn t ping pong. If it were mono it would sound the same on both outputs :slight_smile:

(I don t have an M:C)

2 Likes

Would this cable work?

3.5mm Stereo Mini Jack to Mono 1/4" Jack Cord https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TS9O84I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_9PUTEbZA57H61

“This lead will connect your iPod or MP3 device to an unbalanced mono amplifier such as a Guitar Amp. Or will connect your Guitar or Instrument into the stereo input of a computer or recorder so is a very handy lead for musicians. The cable sums together the stereo signal from the Mini Jack into a mono 1/4" jack. Or Vice Versa; splits the signal from your instrument into the Left & Right channels of the mini jack.”

That is right…my fault…:sweat_smile:

It will work (although technically a bit problematic) but it’s better to just connect one of the L/R outputs to your mixer. Having a smushed together signal will most likely sound worse than having one side of the reverb.

3 Likes

On my most recent album I use the model:cycles as two mono synths. Hard panning left for mostly drums and bass and right For melody. Even use the reverb leakage sometimes. It was fun doing this but I guess for the type of music I make (more experimental lofi) it’s alright…

The melody part went into a Cocoquantus and fx chain. The drums straight into the mixer.

where did you buy it from? I can’t find it in stock anywhere.

I bought the cable and tested it today. It works fine as far as I can tell. Thanks for your input :slight_smile: