Can you imagine if I buy a used Monomachine and elektron put them to sell again for a normal price?

I think that’s what has pushed them into the £2+ range.

1 Like

what?
that is almost 2400€

hmm I wonder what I would get then for my MnM sfx-6 in mint condition(first owner for more then 15 years now) :yum:

1 Like

The fact there hasn’t been a MM/MD reissue is the primary reason I’m not feeling as doom and gloom about Elektron as others are! Shows that they aren’t quite the money grabbing bastards some fear them to be.

I’m actually amazed they haven’t gone down this route though. I’d imagine they could’ve approached it in all sorts of cost effective ways too.

2 Likes

maybe I am ignorant of it’s special sauce… but is there anythng synthesis wise in the MnM that isn’t available elsewhere for a lot less, either in plug in or hardware form already?

I think the holistic “I own a Monomachine” thing is something that would attract me… but not “here’s an FM plug in with Monomachine written on it”

About a year ago, there was a monomachine at my local pawn shop. The glass had a crack in it, but the LCD was fine, I think the headphone jack may have been wonky too. They offered to do it for 600 and I turned it down :sob: No its not still there, yes I wish I would have taken it

2 Likes

I don’t think they’re money-grabbing at all. I just fear they’re going full-on software-as-a-service/“platform”/constant small updates/buy-it-for-what-it-might-do-tomorrow/ad-tracking/brand-first-not-workflow-first. Their new CEO doesn’t look, from their LinkedIn profile, like someone that wants to lead a hardware instruments company. I’d love to be wrong. I hope I’m wrong. Maybe he’s got a breakcore producer alter-ego no-one knows about and he’s rolling on the floor like a giggling child that he now gets to run a hardware instrument shop. We can hope.

3 Likes

It won’t happen

1 Like

Can’t imagine that a reissue will be released. A 100% reissue would not be interesting for me. I also can’t imagine a MKIII version (would be an instant buy for me - especially with updated sequencer abilities).

In terms of sequencer features: here, I would expect that a firmware update would already do the job.

@Kenneth
A SFX6 Model in good condition is on eBay Germany since yesterday (starting bid: 1500€; NOT my unit). I am excited how the auction will evolve.

@Dodo
Prices increased constantly and doubled within a year. Can’t imagine they will ever go down. If you really NEED a MnM, I would not wait much longer. If you don’t need a MnM - DN is an excellent unit as well.

Can you imagine if you didn’t buy a used Monomachine because of this concern, and then a week later you were hit by a bus?* That’s a week you could have spent enjoying the Monomachine instead of worrying.

* You might have to adjust the schedule to factor in shipping.

8 Likes

convince yourself it’s a good investment. and buy it today.

Same, and I think there are a lot of factors as to why.

First of all the Monomachine is based on a pretty old Motorola DSP - no idea if that’s even available anymore, so a simple re-issue could be tricky and costly. Secondly, if one would go the route of revamping the hardware for a MKIII-type deal, you would need to port old assembler code made by different people for that specific processor, none of which are still working at Elektron. This is no small feat. You would also need a much more powerful processor than what is available on the Digi-series, which would mean that you would also have to establish a new platform architecture.

It’s an incredibly costly project in the end, unless you can just re-issue the hardware, which I don’t think is possible due to parts availability. And even then, the price would probably be close to the crazy second hand prices out there.

I don’t see a software version happening either, unless someone is willing to spend a very long time (and a lot of money) porting that assembler code, which is probably not that extensively documented either.

17 Likes

Damn… I shoulded to buy it some years ago, when Elektron made a big price drop just before discontinuing it. I had the money, my finger was on the button, I could… what a mistake! The moral of the story: if you can and want, do it.

1 Like

People are writing emulators of old Motorola chips over at the kvr forum. It’s pretty insane. They’ve already hooked the project up to Access Virus firmware and had it running patches. Which is to say, wouldn’t rule out software.

4 Likes

if they did a VST I may actually have to start using VST’s again. I don’t see it though.

if you want one enough, you’ll have to pay for it. as mentioned though, I’d be far more concerned with the longevity of the unit (and what kind of life it’s already seen) than the unlikely event of Elektron bringing it back.

If Elektron became strapped for cash, and decided on a new direction, the Monomachine design is a ready and saleable asset. There are plenty of companies with the cash and the ability to redesign the Monomachine from detailed plans. Elektron could sell the source code, electronic design, and rights to the names and the copyrights on the design. Porting code from one DSP to another isn’t trivial, but is entirely doable, particularly to a DSP of the same family. The new owner could even protect their investment with an agreement on sales volume, and perhaps even crowdfund the development costs.

I can think of several big name companies that could make this deal work, and plenty of very clever design engineers. There are even companies, one in particular, brimming with cash, who specializes in re-releasing now defunct classics at bargain prices.

Do i think this will actually happen ? Probably not, but it does make business sense, if Elektron has changed in the way many of you think, and wants to cash out assets.

Honestly for me I’d be happy with an equally (if not more) capable successor, if an update or carbon copy isn’t possible. The main issue isn’t so much that I can’t get a Monomachine or Machinedrum, it’s that nothing Elektron makes now seems like it’ll scratch the same itch, which is super frustrating! Each of their products might be more deep in certain areas, and outright better in others, but to me none of them represent the total package those units do in terms of versatility, depth, AND utility. (Besides the Octa, lmao)

3 Likes

From what I understand based on the people I personally know at Elektron, there were a series of special DSPs (Draugen Spiritual Pathways) that were closed by the spirit wardens in QA that were specifically used on the Monomachine.

The only way to reopen the pathway is to acquire the sacred pyramid of Ensoniq Mr. Racks and utilized their Z-Plane filters to cause a dimensional rift, that would possibly (probably, according to some (most)) accelerate environmental catastrophes that would cause MIDI chord packs to replace most fresh water on the planet.

Again, if they got the right team of cyber-shamens together there might be a way. :thinking:

12 Likes

The joystick placement on these made me want to hurt people.

If you’re afraid to buy it, don’t buy it.

If you want it, buy the version that actually exists because tomorrow will not bring another.

1 Like

They won‘t rerelease that silver machines again.
Perhaps in black, because thats „innovative“.
But no, won‘t happen I guess.