Can we talk about the worst thing imaginable?

Elektronauts,

I wanted to share a deeply moving experience I’ve had recently. I understand an electronic instrument message board may not seem the most appropriate place for such a distasteful topic, but I believe that thinking is part of the reason why such a heartless issue persists. If we want to change something first we must fully acknowledge it.

Allen Vandever is an artist, father, and a survivor of childhood sexual abuse.

Allen and I met recently and his non-profit coffee shop, Childhood Fractured. His mission is to end childhood sexual abuse through art and advocacy. Allen’s story is documented in his book, Childhood Fractured, and it would be a narrative of ultimate tragedy were he not not such strong, compassionate and determined individual. After meeting him and learning his story I felt truly inspired, and the least I can do is to spread his message, act against the stigma surrounding childhood sexual abuse, and try to engage others in the conversation as well.

If you are in the Chicago area find the time to visit Childhood Fractured in Lakeview for a free cup of coffee, to join the conversation, or just to consume some truly touching and high-caliber works of art. Childhood Fractured also hosts open-mics, support groups, and meditation groups

If you aren’t in the Chicago area, Please PM me and I can see about getting you a copy of Allen’s book, written by the talented Derek Hopkins.

If you are a survivor of abuse, Childhood Fractured has a list of resources to help you find the support you need. People are here for you!

Allen goofin’ around outside Childhood Fractured

Thank Elektronauts, if you want to help, visit the website, educate yourself, and do what you can to spread the word.

Here is a very uplifting song to shift the tone a bit

9 Likes

Such a powerful idea to reach out and start a conversation about something so pervasive that people rarely openly discuss. Best of luck to you both.

1 Like

I experienced childhood nonsexual abuse. We should do Something about that too. Just saying.

No-one’s stopping you…

1 Like