Can the Boss RC 505 do Polyrhythms?

Hey guys, I’ve been searching online and have found almost nothing to help me answer this question. Any info on how this can be done would be much appreciated, thanks!
I want to integrate the Boss into my techno live rig, and be able to trigger different lengths loops, I understand that each loop can have different bar lengths but what about smaller subdivisions?

can’t answer your question, but what you describe is not polyrhythms, it`s polymeter.

2 Likes

Are you looking to do live looping or just clip launching?

It sounds like you’re interested in the latter; in which case, just get yourself an SP-404. On the other hand, if you want a looper that can grab polymetric phrases on-the-fly, get a 'Rang III.

Cheers!

P.S. As mentioned in the post above, what you’re talking about is called polymeter: i.e. wherein each rhythmic component is happening at the same meter, but with different measure lengths. Polyrhythms are altogether different, and could absolutely be done on the RC-505, on account of the fact that they require each loop to be of the same length, but containing different meters.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies guys…
I mostly want to launch pre-prepared loops with the 505
So just be clear, I cannot create polymetric loops with the 505?

I’m pretty sure you can. It’s been a while since I’ve used my 505 but the reason I got it was because I wanted to be able to have loops of different lengths play off each other…something my EHX2880 could not do. In my case I specifically did not want loops that played in sync…and the 505 can do this as well as supporting different divisions.

Page 13 of the manual has a diagram on it illustrating the various loop length options quite nicely. Also mentions a setting to specify loops shorter than 1 measure.

Note that I was capturing loops from gear on the fly and not loading my own prepared loops into it…so can’t confirm how it handles this but I do recall that timing was rock solid when capturing loops from slaved midi gear (unlike the 2880 which was flaky). I haven’t used it since I’ve got an octatrack.

1 Like

Thanks @sb, now I get it, great stuff.
My studio partner has a 505 and we’ve been looking to integrate it into out Live set, I want to be able to fire off odd length loops so I’ve been doing some research but could not find a definitive answer.

For any track on the 505 you can set the “Measure” to as low as a 16th note and up to 1000 measures. As well as “free”.
The sub-measure increments are 16th, 8th, quarter, half.
So yes, I’m pretty sure it does polymeter; I loop with preset lengths, and will choose different lengths depending on what i’m about to record.

2 Likes