Can the A Keys seq run external synths?

Yes, sorry, a very basic question,

Long time musician, but total beginner on anything Elektron (and also on all synthesisers!)

The AK i have in my possession, through good luck…

Week 3…now I’ve learned a lot about the AK step seq…

(insane machine!!! but i think i might love it)

The size and huge memory etc of the step seq seems to be the special thing on these Elektron animals

Is there ANY way i can run external synths specifically from the sequencer patterns?

Perhaps a firmware mod?
Both the synth and the firmware are old…reads as 1.21 when i turn it on.
I think this crazy machine dates from around 2014, something like that

Thanks if you can help
Tierno

Hi, you can update to the latest firmware (currently 1.51C) which allows the sequencers to output midi notes externally.

2 Likes

Thanks for this fantastic news.

As I said, I’m a new synth learner.

In fact…yeah, i’m getting to like the onboard synth (a lot to take on board)

But I’d love to also use a more ‘organic’ unit with real knobs on to continue learning analog subtractive synthesis.

[The behringer neutron looks like a candidate that is very “traditional”, very hands on, and doesn’t break the bank £££]

But i doubt you could do better than Elektron for long and very variable and programmable step seq compositional level material, that you can store, instead of the throw away short seq loops, that seems to be a common norm on analog units

2 Likes

It‘s really cool to combine knob-per-function synths with Elekton gear.
Best of both worlds so to speak.
There was a short period during which I has no knob-per-function synth to go with my Elektrons and I immediately missed it.
It‘s kinda relaxing for me to have a synth next to the Elektrons on which you can just grab the knobs without looking at any display.
Maybe consider getting something like a Volca or Monologue, or yeah, that Neutron. The Analog Keys can sequence cv, so you could sequence notes on the Neutron via midi and use 4x modulation cv (lfos, envelopes or p-locks) - or use one cv pair for sequencing and the other for modulation. You could also use the individual track outputs to fm modulate stuff on the Neutron. Lots of possibilities there.

3 Likes

I had a MS2000 and then a SuperNova II keyboard early on in my synth journey. Having the entire signal path laid out in front of me with a knob per function was extremely helpful.

2 Likes