Can’t record external audio

Hey guys,

Still a newbie. Currently have my digitally sending midi to a keyboard and want to do an external sample but every time I try it just shows the recorded sample in black🧐

Sorry for the stupid question, but are you connecting back the external synth to the Input L+R ports of the Digitakt, and selecting those as source as sampling?

1 Like

Not at all—and yeah I am! Back of the synth to inputted to the digitakt, and a midi from the same synth to the digitakt

As giacecco mentioned above, you also have to tell the Digitakt which source it should be listening to. The Digitakt can sample audio from its internal sequencer, from USB audio or from the external input, which is the one you want to use when recording external gear.

If it still doesn’t work check that you used the correct output of your synth maybe? Depending on the synth it could have Aux output or things like that

1 Like

Yeah I have the synth set to have midi sent to it from the digitakt, can it not do midi sends and record audio at the time?

The MIDI connection shouldn’t be an issue, MIDI and audio are independent most of the time. What kind of synth is it? Can you verify that it’s producing an audio signal?

It’s a Yamaha reface cs, it was working before when I first set it up and then hadn’t recorded any samples for a while and now it doesn’t work. The synth and DT both work when I hook them up to an amp and test them independently. I reread the manual for external recording too but the waveform always shows up at black when I try

Well that’s strange, maybe the Digitakt preamp is busted but that seems unlikely, you should contact Elektron support.

Just so you know, you don’t have to actually record the sample to verify if it works, if there is incoming sound you should see the Audio Input Meter moving at the top of the screen!

I do in face see that… but thought maybe there was some setting I could change that I didn’t know about. The meter changes and it seems to record fine, just don’t hear any of the audio…

Wow that’s even weirder, but it means that it’s probably not an hardware issue at least!

What have you selected as src? I suggest you set it to src=“EXT L” to sample just the left side (for a first try).

The reason: If you have set up your cables wrong and try to sample L+R from a balanced source both channels will cancel themselves perfectly out and you’ll get silence. By just sampling a single channel (L or R) you can test that.

Update: Just seen that the Yamaha Reface CS has no balanced outputs, but I would nevertheless try the single channel sampling to see if there are other canceling effects going on (just to be sure).

I got it working, factory reset. Just annoying that I had to do that [quote=“tnussb, post:11, topic:92958, full:true”]
What have you selected as src? I suggest you set it to src=“EXT L” to sample just the left side (for a first try).

The reason: If you have set up your cables wrong and try to sample L+R from a balanced source both channels will cancel themselves perfectly out and you’ll get silence. By just sampling a single channel (L or R) you can test that.

Update: Just seen that the Yamaha Reface CS has no balanced outputs, but I would nevertheless try the single channel sampling to see if there are other canceling effects going on (just to be sure).
[/quote]