Can step recording be done without external midi keyboard?

Hi folks.

Re-reading the manual and going over things I haven’t tried and step recording is puzzling me.

I can move left/right and program note offs (EXIT/NO) and note clears (ENTER/YES) but can’t actually input a note on trig keys.

Do I need an external keyboard for this?

Cheers.

Perhaps i’ve not understood your question, but, if you mean to enter notes for the steps, try to keep pressed a step, then on the bottom of the display a piano roll will appear and with arrows you can choose the note, octaves and so on.
Let me know if it worked. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks.

I am doing exactly that.

I hold the flashing trig in step mode and move left/right to select note shown on the lcd. Once that is done and I move right to the next step and then I can see that step I just tried to ad a note to is empty.

this is pretty much normal…if i understand correctly; if you don’t enter MIDI notes without the use of an external device (MIDI keyboard or whatever you use to do that) you’ll get a ‘noteless’ trig :slight_smile:
that means you’ll then have to set the note as Rics said…and if you think about it…how would the machine ‘understand’ which note you want to input when the button you’re pushing is actually used to set a trig? :wink:
hope this helps

1 Like

I tried it exactly as Ric said. No joy.
I’m not at the unit right now but I’ll figure it out later. No big deal.
Many thanks, guga:)

press record + play at the same time… mash the keyboard. observe results…

clear everything. start new, clear canvas!

hold trig 1, press left arrow. look at screen, do u see a “keyboard thing with black and white thingies, tha look like a piano, a drawing of a piano?” from here it should be selfexplanatory, but please keep posting questions

It could be that some of the previous responders are talking about GRID recording mode, whereas I think you’re talking about STEP RECORDING mode. The details of STEP RECORDING are given on page 50
(and preparations on page 47) of the manual for OS v1.32. Are you following these steps exactly?

Aha. I think you’re correct there, Peter. Thanks.

I’m referring the “STEP RECORDING MODE”.

I’m familiar with working the monomachine already. This mode is just something I overlooked.

I have followed those instructions exactly (pages 47/50) again and again / Reset kits / Started from scratch.

All works as should to a point but the problem occurs when on the very first flashing step (step 1/trig 1) and I try to input a note.

It says “you can input notes using the keyboard or trig keys”.

It also says that it will advance to the next step once a note is programmed.

When i hit a trig key it does not recognize it as a note but as me selecting a new step to input onto, so I try holding down the first trig ket when lit (step 1) and selecting a note while the keyboard graphic is visible on LCD and it lets me select a note. Then when I move to the next step (RIGHT) the previous trig is blank with no note entered. I double check this in GRID RECORD mode (when record led is fully lit) and there are definitely no notes entered.

1 Like

press function + trig :smiley: its easy as that. if u dont press function you move between the steps, if you press function and press a trig the trigs are used as keyboard and input notes…have fun!

2 Likes

Big thank you, hyena!

It works when using FUNCTION & TRIG.

No mention of using FUNCTION in manual though:

STEP RECORDING
The third method of recording notes differs a bit from the other two methods as data is input on a step by step basis. You can input notes from the keyboard and the [TRIG] keys

[ol]
[li]Begin with following the instruction in section “RECORDING PREPARATIONS”, on page 46. [/li]
[li]To enter STEP RECORDING mode, press [REC] and [STOP] at the same time. [/li]
[/ol]
[ol]
[li]The pattern will start on the first step of the sequencer. From here the active position will automatically advance one step forward when a note or chord is programmed. [/li]
[li]You can use the [LEFT] and [RIGHT] keys to move the editing focus of the pattern. Press the [EXIT/NO] key to program a NOTE OFF, press [ENTER/YES] to clear a note. [/li]
[/ol]

Sorry for the delay in getting back, hyena.

Thanks a million:)

1 Like

you are very welcome, i pm’d you just to be sure you received the solution as i know how frustrating can be not finding a way to do what you need to do with your toys :smiley:
anyway, i’ll grab the opportunity to underline how crazily GREAT the MNM is! one of the most flexible machines i ever put my hands on! the great combo of crazy sequencing features and easy sound sculpting tools proved to be absolutely effective for me. i pair it with a mduw+ mk2 and a small 6u eurorack, the setup of my dreams finally became reality :smiley:

Damn, I never ever use the step recording !
The monomachine still surprise me after several years …

thank you for pointing that out

+1

I had this same issue, I am pressing function as well but the step is not advancing.

The trig leds just turn yellow.

for me it seems only to work with a connected midi keyboard. step recording mode with the MnM sequencer/keyboard doesn’t work. just tried!