Can someone explain to me why swing affects 16th notes?

Swing can also be used as a delay, or microtiming…

That’s deceiving, I thought you knew all Elektron manuals by heart. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

they were very much a soundsystem first, so I guess sub would have been a BIG thing in their sound from that… It’s a London thing*.

• alright, a Kingston thing people brought to London. :wink:

What do you mean they were a sound system first? Do we have non humans living among us, making music?

2 Likes

ha, I knew this would get confusing :wink:

I meant they operated as a soundsystem in this sense:

so they had their own custom built equipment and would play warehouse parties and illicit dances and whatever around London before they were a pop act. And that kind of dance is all about who’s system makes it difficult to breathe properly/gives you an itchy nose because the sub is so powerful.

1 Like

I wish everyone would take a minute to read that Roger Linn interview so we could all be on the same page with this stuff.

Indeed. I learned a lot from this article. It is an answer to the thread question, and there’s a ton of other useful and interesting stuff in there.

Strangely, he seems to prefer the Tempest (over, say, the Rytm)… not sure why…

Don’t know if you’re kidding, but he was one of the creators of the tempest :slight_smile:

Just now getting around to reading that article. I love this quote

I noticed that what I had recorded played back on perfect 16th notes, effectively correcting my timing errors, so I decided to call this bug a feature, which I called ‘timing correct’, which the copycats later called ‘quantize’.

3 Likes

From a drummers perspective ( me ):
Either cut your scale or your tempo in 1/2 to get the sound that your brain is equating with the notation you were taught.
The difference in notation is academic in the sense that 1/4 notes at 120bpm are going to sound like 1/2 notes @ 240bpm.

In my mind, the term “swing” is used in sequencers because it shortens the distance between straight 8ths in the closest way that a machine can emulate what people do, keeping in mind that this terminology is ~ 40yrs old at the time of this writing.

Swing is a style, something you can ride at the park, a setting in sequencers, something a pendulum does… just make it sound the way it needs to so the hips swing, eh?

3 Likes