Can Octatrack do hifi?

Yes. It can do whatever you put into it. It doesn’t go below 16bit, so if you want “lo-fi” I would suggest finding 8 bit samples to load into it. If you use loops and change the tempo with time stretching on, you can lose fidelity quickly. I wouldn’t call that Lofi tho. That’s just artifacts. If you are talking about that, you should Google “why does my Octatrack sound bad?”

1 Like

@Acidizer Here is a thing I made on the OT as an example. It is using single cycle waveforms and a compressor on the master track, no further processing, it’s what comes out of my speakers. Hopefully it sounds a bit hifi-esque.

7 Likes

Also see.

2 Likes

Nice what is happening at 27 secs? Is that an OT effect?

I would say that the octatrack can do HiFi, but it is not ideal at it, where it is very easy and good going the other way. And I would generally say that the effects aren’t super “sweetened” like HiFi stuff, but very useable. Although I will be honest and say that the reverb leaves a bit to be desired to me.

Yeah, I use mine everyday, and I have zero problem with it not being HIFI. It sounds exacly like the the thing I put in it, unless you use the time stretching algo. You can also get loads of artifacts by changing the speed of the sample. The reverb is fine. It doesn’t do the pitchshifting glitter verb kids use these days, but I happen to really enjoy it’s sound. Actually the effects are very bare boned, the basic flavors you need to add together for a more complex palette. If you want more complex effects, you can use the cue outs as an effects send to add pedals. I just use my computer.
Your best option would be to find one for cheap and try it out. Maybe, buy a new one and return it if you don’t like it.
Or…you could read this

3 Likes

It a Scene changing the amplitude envelope on some single cycle waveforms, toying with reverb and a master filter too.

EDIT: I did share the OT project with samples inside if anybody finds it useful to test things with (regarding the hifi question or otherwise).
Here it is:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1yiZDiP83IyOYc3IZe6lv5jcPgVKadAt-?usp=sharing

2 Likes

I think most of what I make using the OT could be described as hifi - as others have mentioned it’s really about what you’re putting into it - I assume you’re mostly hearing chops and sampled beats that are intentionally going for that flavour with the samples used and the way they’re being processed. I feel like messing with pitch and playback speed will give off that vibe as well even when it’s not technically lofi.

1 Like

6 Likes

Ask Stimming :rofl:

1 Like

This is sick man. I would not have guess this was all single cycles. Very tasteful

1 Like

I recalled Stimming said OT used cheap low quality DACs on OT. Does that make any difference?

I rememebr years ago someone on here replaced the DAC’s with more expensive ones. I don’t think they felt it was worth all the work. I think most of the problem’s people have with sound on the OT can be attributed to bad gain structure. I’m pretty sure Elektron tried to fix this on the MK2 by adding a more powerful input amp on the inputs? But, yeah, using an external amplifier to get a hotter signal, could help at times.

1 Like

He doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Even cheap DACs still sound good these days. It’s not the 90s anymore.

2 Likes

Who is Stimming and why do people hang their hat on his opinion?

1 Like

Someone who doesn’t know how to get high quality sounds out of the OT and for some reason people think he’s an authority on the subject.

5 Likes

Fascinating.
I’m assuming he makes youTube videos.
Stuff like that always makes me wonder if someone like Dilla or Boards of Canada struggled with the sound of DAC’s :loopy:

2 Likes

I often get myself out of GAS by reminding myself just how many of my favorite records were made with way worse gear than mine.

5 Likes

I do that a lot.
I also remember being in my 20’s and excited to work with whatever I could get my hands on.
Make it work, develop creations with anything.

I definitely understand chasing elusive stuff in gear, but I try not to let myself fall too far down that rabbit hole. I’d be broke otherwise

1 Like

Yeah, it’s interesting to see successful artists just using stuff and the rest just obsessing over the feel of the buttons, special edition colours, memory, disk capacity, the next version … and DACs.

3 Likes