Can I use a 9V adapter with the Overhub (5V)?

Will it fry the hub?

I would look at the underside, it should have any information about input voltage. Often there is a safe range.

1 Like

Only says 5V DC on it so I would NOT plug 9V in. If there is no protection/regulation from higher voltages then you could damage your unit.

2 Likes

Not to Hijack the thread, but what are the advantages of using an external power supply vs USB power?

Usb port can only supply so much current, perhaps 500,1000mA or maybe more, but not a lot. So a device which isn’t self powered would potentially draw more, they specify. 4000mA case as being the worst likely reasonable scenario for 7x gear or similar if sourcing a third party psu.

4 Likes

If you want to connect other devices that also needs to draw power, like external harddrive, the USB port might not provide enough power.

Basically, if you only connect devices that have their own power supply (like most synths), no need to connect hub to power supply - USB port will provide enough power for the hub.

As soon as you connect any other device to hub, that draws its power from hub, you (probably) need to connect hub to power supply.

5 Likes

Thanks for all your answers. I wanted to try it with a newly acquired Virus TI which I’m having sync issues with. The Virus runs on its own power supply, but Access support asked me to try it with a powered USB hub.

Cheers, everyone!

If you want to eliminate the possibly that the hub is causing issues, temporarily bypass the hub completely, by plugging the Virus directly into the USB port.

2 Likes

Im sure my Virus came up with a message that it needed a dedicated USB port. Didnt like the hub.