Can I only send one MIDI cc at a time?

I’m controlling a Volca FM from the Octatrack, I have an LFO assigned to cc43 (modulator decay) and it works as expected. The LFO must have its own MIDI track otherwise the MIDI notes re-trig the LFO. So far so good

If I now go and p-lock a different parameter (in this case, velocity), the new parameter is delayed until the next trig in sequence.

Can I actually control more than one cc per trig? (on the same track, using the same hardware)

There are 10 freely assignable CCs per 8 Tracks which can share the same midi channel if you wish

1 Like

Thanks for the reply!

Sorry but I have explained that really badly, what I’m asking is if I can p-lock multiple cc’s on the same trig (going to the same channel). At the moment I’m finding that the second cc doesn’t kick in until the next sequencer trig is passed.

I’m just trying to work out if it’s a problem with the Volca or with the Octatrack.

The CC messages are sent out by the OT after any Note On message on the sequencer step.

It depends on the receiving equipment on how it deals with the message. I don’t know whether the Volca can change its parameter after a sound has been triggered by the Note On message or whether the change is only implemented for the next-triggered note.

Edit: just re-read your question - obviously, the Volca can’t change the velocity of a Note On message after the Note has been triggered.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply!

I have an LFO on a separate MIDI track that is working well. Also, I can successfully p-lock directly on the MIDI track that contains the notes. It only works for the first cc though, when I introduce a second cc, the second cc is delayed.

I’m going to have to experiment a bit more…

Ah so maybe it’s just the velocity that doesn’t work, a bit obvious really, thanks for pointing that out! :relaxed:

1 Like

I don’t have a VolcaFM, but isn’t the velocity disconnected from the Amp in the traditional sense, instead velocity is a slider which you can adjust to simulate velocity expressivity already designed into sounds, so in this regard, wrt velocity, you can only have one value per step … but presumably the things being controlled by Velocity can alternatively be controlled by other CCs … as peter mentioned keep in mind that some synth can have sound control activated after the note on, say e.g. filter freq, this really needs to be constantly adjustable, but some parameters are set when the instant of the voice is set and cannot be adjusted until the next note on … this nuance varies from synth to synth, some are more amenable to that type of control

1 Like

Thanks for all the input guys, it’s appreciated!

The problem does indeed seem to be the velocity on the Volca FM, and the fact that the cc is sent after the note. Other parameters work when p-locked but sometimes that tiny delay in cc is audible. I’ve finally got it doing what I want though! :relaxed:

2 Likes

What are workarounds for this? Been considering a ND2 but having to plock velocity and other ccs on the previous step to the one I want affected seems unintuitive to the point of being a bug.

Velocity itself is not a problem because it is part of the MIDI Note On message. The particular issue for @djenzyme was trying to send velocity as a continuous controller to the VolcaFM because of its unusual velocity slider.

For the ND2, the efficacy of sequencing from the OT might depend on which parameters you want to sequence. Continuous controls won’t be a problem: the OT will send them as fast as MIDI permits. But for control messages that need to be arriving with the Note On message, it could be problematic.

This is an issue with the OT that has been discussed at length. It might not be a bug, but it is a design decision that has caused people to favour the MM over the OT.

1 Like

It’s velocity via cc that is ‘late’, normal velocity works fine. I think any other late cc’s can be smoothed out by increasing the attack a bit but I guess that depends on what kind of sound you’re using.

Edit: Peter beat me to it! :relaxed:

If you have midi tracks to spare, you can try sending the CCs from another channel, and microtiming that channel to be slightly ahead of the note sending channel. Note that when doing this, the channel priority mentioned in the manual is in effect ie. conflicting midi data will be sent from the lowest OT track, ignoring the higher.

btw you can disable the lfo reset on key on the volca fm, check your voice global settings

3 Likes

I did experiment with micro timing the cc message in advance of the notes but it gets awkward for the very first step, if it’s on grid then the first microtimed cc message has to be at the end of the previous pattern. It’s definitely useful in some situations though :+1:

I haven’t dived into the Volca FM menus yet but I’ll keep that LFO tip in mind! :wink: