Can I do this with the Digitone?

I’ve been wondering for a while which synth to go with next. For a little bit I was really tempted by the Minilogue XD, but I think I have finally decided to get the DN.

But before anything, I wanna know if I can use it for the application I have in mind:

• Sequence each track of the DN using a a midi clip on Ableton where I would have three tracks doing single notes, and the fourth doing five notes polyphony.
  • Do the same thing but using the internal sequencer.
  • Random trigs for voice/patch change.
  • Does the Chorus widen the sound? I hope it does…

I feel it can do those things I just don’t want any surprises…

1. Yes
  2. Yes
  3. Sort of, you can set a chance percentage for any trig, meaning that it has n% chance of triggering. This trigger can have a different sound or setting than that of the track, but it won’t change the patch itself randomly.
  4. Yes, and there is control over the width.
3 Likes

Oh and true answer to any ‘which should I get question’ is always: Both.

:tongue:

5 Likes

That’s really dope… I got the Digitakt last year and loved it. Though I alway felt it was the synth engine. This feels like the logical next step. I waited a bit to see if any synth would match up. I really like the PEAK but it’s double the price almost. I like the fact that you can have multiple sounds going at the same time. Going to be fun to try and experiment with live performances.

…already convinced?

or do u still need some more arguments, why exactly the dtone is called the best friend of the dtakt…?

apart from beeing the most versatile digital synth out there anyway…truu fm meets truu subtractive synth tricks here…in one box with 8 independent voices…and it won’t take long 'til u drop the ableton plan and start to use the internal sequencer ONLY…which is an instrument of it’s own…u know…

1 Like

I’ve been considering this for a looong time. So just needed to make sure on last few things hahaha.

This. The Elektron sequencer has always been a central part of composing IMO, I would feel so sad to have to sequence it from my DAW. I think it’s not the individual things I can do that really does it, it has more to do with having so much power and functionality at the ready and being able to juggle with all of it in a few seconds after muscle memory sinks in.
The immediacy of the p-lock paradigm + conditional trigs + sounds locks with a simple “hold & turn” move is still unmatched as far as I’m concerned. :muscle:

1 Like

I have thought about this a lot. I will be using both sequencers at the same time. I think Ableton sequencer can do things Elektron’s sequencer cannot.

What I can do with Ableton is have different clips, different sizes, be triggered randomly one after the other. Not to mention random note generation and such. From elektron’s side, I will probable sequence things like the filter, patch and such

1 Like

…we will see…er, hear…