C64 Music

if you know your way around a soldering iron and are a bit crazy…

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/wilba_mb_6582

if you can find 8 SIDs it will play four note chords, with 6 SID oscillators per note.

2 Likes

I was able to get ahold of both programs (thabks to darenager!!) So I went to my friends to get my c64 out of his closet and unfortunately he dropped the box (my fault for handing it to him when/where I did and for storing it over there in the first place 8 ( ))

Anyway, the floppy drive landed right on top of the bread bin unit and broke some keys and I wouldn’t be suprised if it flexed the unit enough for some circuit board damage.

What a crazy trip my pursuit of C64 jamming has been. Now to decide if I track down a power supply just to find out if the drive and bread bin are still functioning…

This is pretty amazing, the vocal sounds in particular are :open_mouth:
Listen to “Jammer - Mr Marvellous - 8580” on Spreaker.

1 Like

I’m just now seeing this thread, but if you like Drax, he was a part of a group called “The Vibrants” (Denmark). They made TONS of C64 music, Jens Christian Huus actually wrote a few of the more prevalent SID editor/trackers. Look for JCH, Metal, Drax, Laxity (and a few others, but those are the big ones). Metal is my favorite. They also later did a lot of FM music using their EdLib editor in DOS, as well as MODs and XMs. Definitely check out Metal though. He’s great. Really jazzy while still being modern and electronic.

1 Like

Jammer is pretty amazing. I just started listening to a lot of his tunes a year or two ago. The SID chip is quite possibly the most wonderful invention of the last two centuries. :smiley:

1 Like

Amen to that!

And thanks for the listening recommendations and info too :thup:

1 Like

I remember getting this on a zap64 magazine tape , I think it’s what kickstarted me into electronic music. It’s a studio version of the Sanxion theme.

3 Likes

Great thread! I loved C64 back in the day. Listened to it for hours. But started music making on Atari ST instead. First with a tracker later with Cubase.

I’ve been listening to this long track a lot recently,

Gordian Tomb by Thomas Detert

3 Likes

Another nice one

3 Likes

This one is fun:

2 Likes

A couple of old favorites:

And a newer Bonzai demo with some nice music:

3 Likes

One more :smiley:

2 Likes

So happy this thread came to life, I logged in to post Gordian Tomb and found I had already posted it :smiley:

Can’t stop listening to these tracks! Makes me wish I could find my old C64 in my parents attic. So glad I took my Amiga with me when I moved out. Thanks for the links!

Build a MiSTer FPGA, and you’ll have FPGA perfect clones of both machines! Well, the SID chip part is debatable because it’s a digital recreation, but it still sounds sufficiently good.

This one has pretty good music:

4 Likes

I can’t wait to get my c64 set up again, recently got the brilliant Frank Buss Kerberos cart, it has cynthcart, and midi ports built in plus quite a lot of other nice software, and you can load new software to the flash memory using sysex via his desktop software :laughing:

https://frank-buss.de/kerberos/index.html

2 Likes
2 Likes

38 years ago, still love it

3 Likes

I remember using this program briefly around 87/88, the tune that starts at about 38 seconds in was called “Pressure cooker” and stuck in my head for years even though I only heard it once or twice, I recently found it on youtube and noticed that it has been remixed a few times, pretty funny.

1 Like