C6 Sample Dump Frustration

Ok, I’m new to the Machinedrum UW and although having read through all the documentation and some related threads, I might not have understood all possibilities of using C6 for my newly acquired used Machinedrum SPS-1UW+.

So, just to be on the safe side before starting to experiment and possibly messing things up, I’ve spent quite some time doing backups of all the Snapshots and Samplebanks. Since the SYX format is used for the MD Sound Packs provided by Elektron, I went with that format (SDS) expecting it to store all required information to completely restore Snapshot/Samplebank combination.

But now that I wanted to restore some samples to different Samplebanks, they show up without names.

Did some more research and quite a some experimenting, just to find out that there seem to be no mode that allows to do backup which really restores all information (as done by Elektron with their Sound Packs). There are two possibilities:

1. Use SDS as format for the samples. According to the documentation, this will save the position of each sample. The name of the sample is transferred to C6 and you can save the SYX file with that name. However, when sending the SYX to the MD, the sample ends up without a name (although the corresponding option “Send SPS-1UW Name” in C6 is checked).

2. Use WAV (or AIFF) as format for samples. This will not store any additional information of the location or name of the sample. The name of the sample is transferred to C6 and you can save the WAV file with that name. When sending the WAV back to the MD, the sample will be properly named, but you need to manually select the proper sample slot to store the sample in.

Bottom line: You either lose the the name of the sample, or the location.
Any suggestions?

PS: I compared the sample SYX file save from C6 to a sample SYX file from an Elektron Sound Pack, and sure enought, they are different. The SYX file from the Sound Pack does have an additional block with the name in it. I wonder how Elektron created those…

make a checkmark at “Send SPS-UW Name” in C6. will only work with the latest MD OS

As mentioned, that works for samples in WAV format but not in SDS (SYX) format.

MD is on 1.63