Buying used A4 mk2

I think I’m going to buy a used A4 mk2. I know the rytm mk2 has had some issues but I’ve heard less about the A4. Anything I should look out for?

People say this about the Rytm mk2 but I bought it never experienced any issues,
and the update fixed the freezing bug, but I never experienced that either.
The A4 is great! nothing to worry about and if something is wrong with it,
Take it straight back to the shop and get a replacement !

1 Like

just buy an A4mk1, less problems, less ugly interface/colors, more portability, way cheaper, they throw A4’s at your head at 550 euros! :laughing: and the rest of your money goes to a DN (very good combo!)

4 Likes

No issues besides 1 random shut down in a few months of usage - everything still there when booted up again. The only minor bugs I experienced were fixed with the new patch!

The function to press and hold [PERF] to see the parameter values for the performance macros did not work.
The [KEYBOARD] could under some circumstances play at a wrong velocity after loading a new project.

48 48 48 48

1 Like

I dunno, mk2s go as low as 900

For 400 more you get enhanced visuals, quick access to performance macros, individual line out, enhanced OB support, CV control, enhanced filters/overdrives.

There’s a good argument for both

7 Likes

There’s also character to consider. I prefer the somewhat more subtle and fragile character of the MKI’s overdrive, and was actually pursuing an MKI before II for this reason.

And for looks. I’m more shallow than that Shallow song when it comes to looks😎

1 Like

Look out for sticky Buttons. Some early Units had that issue before Elektron sorted it Out in the production Line.

I bought a used mk2 and the page button is glitchy and needs repairing. However the unit is still less than 3 years old, so Elektron are going to fix it for the shipping fee alone, regardless of it being second hand.

Bought all 3 of my Elektron units 2nd hand.

Very happy.

First i bought the DT and it had an earth problem, Elektron replaced it with a brand new unit…

This gave me absolute confidence in the brand. So i bought a second hand ARmkii and A4mkii knowing they were still under warranty and that if there was any serious problems i would end up with 3 new units for the 2nd hand price…

1 Like

that alone :sweat_smile:

It’s so much synth for the money, it almost pisses me off. I was eyeing the SE-02 the other day, loving the way it sounds and stuff. Looks pretty cool, too.

Then I realised, for the same money, or even slightly less if it’s my lucky day, I’m getting an A4 MKI.

The math is just absurd if you just apply feature value and compare the A4MKI to just about anything else in that price range, or above as well.

3 Likes

The mk2s are way more stylish too
Low profile front with better angle for viewing on a desk.
Better screen and materials and finish.

Yeah I think I prefer the character of the MK1 a bit more also… it has almost a fuzzy character or something that isnt as present on the MK2. That said they sound really similar 90% of the stuff you might do. Got my MK1 on the cheap when the MK2 came out and never have thought about upgrading. Then again I have good eye sight, I think for some the upgraded screen is enough to make them upgrade.

1 Like

Very true, the screen is substantially better on the MKII. And the interface makes more sense. However, after a few sessions with the MKI, the additional hardware tricks of the MKII doesn’t make all that much of a difference, except perhaps the Quick Performance which I don’t believe have an equivalent on the MKI.

I just love the shape of the MKI’s in general. So I guess that’s where I’m coming from.

well that’s clearly a matter of taste.
No need to argue about looks here, but for me the look and form factor of the mk2s alone are enough reason not to upgrade.

1 Like

yeah not gonna argue as it is matter of opinion,
but I definitely like the mk2 look better fits much better with the lower profile on my desk
than the lunch box type design of the Octatrack mk2 design And mk1. Haha

TRUE but knowing what I know now I wouldn’t recommend anything brand new from Elektron at full retail price, including the many bugs, weird ommited functions, etc etc! It is like a brandnew car, first batches…is always equal to problems. It’s still boutique price but doesn’t reflect anymore the quality of a decent finished more or less bugsfree product we used to get like with MD and Mnm. Look at an A4 mk1, I have even seen the keys for 675euro in good condition! THis is ridiculousy cheap price! Prices shouldn’t drop like that for such an amazing super synth, but I think it’s thanks to all the problems, bugs, freezes, long waiting for updates, etc. That’s why MD’s or Mnm’s are still very high price second hand, only encoders need to be replaced sometimes.

Personally I would buy mk1 only because of the dirt cheapness nowadays, you’ll be amazed what you get for that price

1 Like

Seriously. Very good deal. I like the form factor and price of the mk1, but oh how I would like those extra features.

I got mine from some unfortunate seller on an eBay auction for $430

1 Like

I’m listing my Analog Keys next week if anyone’s interested!