Thinking about the Rytm Mk2; your thoughts

So I think I’m gonna pull the plug on a new rytm mk2. I know theres been many threads about issues with pads etc. I was wondering what is the current status on the quality of the mk2? Did all the bugs get ironed out and QC improved?

I’ve had absolutely no issues with hardware, pads are fine and I actually really like them.

The only slight issues I’ve had is…some of the printed font has faded, which I believe may have been a fault with the printing during manufacture… but I keep it in great condition and I’m not sure if it’s worth sending back for a minor issue like that…

2 Likes

I bought mine in October of 2019 with no pad issues or any other issues. It’s a great drum machine.

1 Like

no issue whatsoever with mine, bought in 2018.
Everything is still ace with it.
Love it, it will never leave the studio.

2 Likes

It ‘s an ok machine/ i would buy a model sample these days and an Ot

What makes you prefer the Samples + OT instead of the Rytm? Genuine question.

If you get one, know that the audio will cut out or lose sync when streaming the audio tracks via USB. It happened to me many times; but it’s a known issue, though not sure if it’ll get fixed soon.

That really blew it for me, and I returned it.

Drum synth is not great IMO and I use only often mainly.

1 Like

You refer to OT?

Do you mean via OB?

gotcha, that makes sense.

Oh shoot, I meant the Rytm MK2.

The best sound on it, IMHO, is the white noise snare… without the drum tune added. That’s the only sound I miss on it.

I mainly used Logic Pro X to stream all tracks.

I got confused and didn’t realize that Overbridge is not audio-over-USB, but a separate program that records the output of the RMK2.

Understood

I never use it via OB and never will

I’ve ordered one. Should be here tomorrow. Very excited

1 Like

Lucky you ! I’m still waiting for the lockdown to be over so I can sell some stuff to buy one as well. I really like the Digitakt but I always wanted to have analog drums.

Wherever you order it, tell them you want one that’s in a factory sealed box.

Enjoy!

Good evening,I am also interested in an analog rhythm mk2 soon.How is the Rhythm with external synthesizers?are you satisfied with it?thank you

The Rytm is awesome. Dont buy it just for the analog sounds though. That is a mistake. I read people saying “I didn’t like the sounds” and I think - its an analogue drum sampler, this is not a TR8S with 909s in it.

You have to consider the Rytm as a sampler with analog filters and effects AND drum sounds. What is so cool about this is that while people hunt down and overpay for old MPCs for their sound, you already have that in the AR with far more functionality.

The Analog sounds take a lot of time to learn how to dial in. So when you plug in the machine and start it up, the basic sounds may be underwhelming. But the reality is that you can make a slamming kick on the Rytm. The hats and claps are amazing sounds if you layer with samples. I do not like the hats on their own, but you have to get creative. You can use noise for the hats and that sounds pretty great. The cowbell can be tuned and made into a lead melody…etc. I could go on.

Additionally the scene mode is great for multiple mutes and the performance mode takes the Rytm to a whole different level. When you add in all the Trigger locks you can do in the sequencer, plus the LFO, plus the Perf. mode, you have the ability to make a very dynamic and interesting drum patterns. On top of that there are macros you can map to velocity which can make your snare rolls sound very alive for example.

With external synths, it is ok. It’s not a brain like an MPC that can send out tons of notes. I think it may only have 4 notes polyphony, which is good but not great. If you are triggering a mono synth, that is no problem and it’s probably great if you enjoy the Rytm sequencer. You could put the synths out in the Rytm input and use the analogue distortion and compressor on it. I personally do these things with the Octatrack since I can sample into it. Plus the OT has 8 Midi channels that run in parallel to the Audio ones.

Cool thing about the Rytm is it has a mono synth built in, so you could use that with your external synths and basically have drum/bass/lead/chord (or chord samples) all happening and sequenced from the Rytm.

Also you could sample your synth back into the Rytm. Even thought it is a mono sampler, it sounds great, and you can get stereo back with the delay and reverb effects.

Hope this helps.

10 Likes