Business practices [compilation topic]

Nope, they don’t hate us (the customer). They just fear their Venture Capitalists more than they love their customers. That’s all they were asked to do: make a “new” product with minimal investments. That’s easily done by putting a new casing around it. At least they took the opportunity to fix some hardware bugs…

Standardising on new DT-style buttons/knobs/screens and harmonising the looks would not have made such a big fuzz…

Wait till they drop the new device, people are gonna need therapy over it.

2 Likes

LOL. No kidding. This place has gone mental.

1 Like

In 10 years the mkI boxes will be selling for a premium in the secondhand market because of their “legendary vintage sound”.

5 Likes

I think the jury is still out. Once the dust settles you may find the mki boxes are actually more coveted than MKii. who knows? they’re not even out yet. Their could be all sorts of problems, and maybe people end up liking the ‘old sound better than the new sound’. The new improvements are great, but me personally they in no way break my heart. Not one iota. Because I never bought the Rytm for sampling. I bought it for synthesis. And for me in fact the A4 keeps surprising me. That synth is so deep with so many functions, I can spend whole days on particular feature sets but there is still is so much to utilise. So I dunno. I’m firmly in the ‘keeping my boxes’ camp, probably until they die. I think the butthurt mostly comes from people who buy gear only with the intention of selling it.

1 Like

Surely not dude - the MD is all digital, whats vintage about it? :joy:

1 Like

It took me a LONG time to like the A4.
I loved everything about it on paper, but I was struggling to get sounds I wanted.
I used to feel like I was going to sell it.
Somewhere on this forum someone challenged me to find it’s sweet spots.
I’ve been in love since.
I’m no Nostradamus, but if ya’ll are tired of hearing about lack of midi, sampling on AR, just wait till the “bass comparison” thread gets going.

3 Likes

All correct. The Dark Trinity will still work after they reissue the same device in a new bulky, Korean design format. It could even well be that the next generation of synth heads will value the originals more than this knock off.

Anyhow, investment in high-tech electronics is usually not a wise investment (anyone wants my VHS recorded with a zillion of extra features) unless you had bought a 808/909/303 or an Apple I. It’s indeed an investment in yourself.

It’s just sad to see Elektron is taking this more commercial approach as demanded by their investors who want a quick ROI. Nevertheless, I enjoyed my MD, still enjoy my AR and will keep doing this: they’re a future classics but my next purchase will not be a MkII.

Sorry investors, I’ll keep enjoying my current gear, won’t buy anything new from you and will look for a new innovating manufacturer who’s passionate about the gear they release.

I anticipate passionate Elektron employees making us all want the MKII’s from Namn, whether we buy one or not.

Damn… i bet Cenk is busy cooking up a sick video too…

1 Like

When I saw the digitakt I immediately assumed the other devices would be getting similar updates next so it was no shock at all seemed very obvious it was coming

People have asked for better screens and complained about fixing buttons!

Seems to me they’re just filling the demand they’re not some huge corporation trying to build disposable products the new buttons are rated for 50k clicks lol

1 Like

Has anyone seen a video on Youtube or somewhere else of the Elektron stand at Summer NAMM 2017?
I haven’t, it’s seems awfully quiet?

1 Like

I’ve not seen much at all about summer NAMM, it’s nowhere in the league of the winter one though so I expect we’ll see news roll in on Monday.

Just a bit of guitar stuff videos on Youtube, not a single synth…

cant actually agree on that. Elektron had just “two” products for years and they cared a hell of a lot for them. And they could still live from that, simply because Machinedrum and Monomachine were the best you could get and they as a company werent that big.

The Problem today is: They dont invent anything “real”, anything NEW anymore! Thats why the Products get used very fast and thats why people not buy everything they “throw” out. Except for the OT - every subsequent Product was based off their efforts they spent on Monomachine and Machinedrum. They just extended stuff, but they did not invented something new. And even Overbridge is basically not new - Access invented this technology with the Virus TI AGES ago!

So - yeah. The Problem is that they are at a point there they HAVE to release something new every Year to cover their expenses. If i were Elektron, i would restructure the company from the ground up, throw at least half of the employees out and start with something REALLY new again. Something that can last for years. This can work. But if a company grows too much, primary goal is obviously SALES as they have to feed so much mouths :wink:

Calling for people to be fired? Wow.

No, I just wish they would try to become a premium synth company instead of a mass market synth company. Right now they are some weird in between thing that doesn’t really satisfy either crowd.
I’d happily pay 2000 or 2500 for their stuff if I knew the machines will be supported for a long time and are upgradable and made to the highest quality standards with no compromise.
I wish they were more like API and less like Mackie if you know what I mean.

Not trying to bash Mackie here. I love and use their stuff, but it’s more of a utility to me whereas Elektrons are musical instruments.

5 Likes

I won’t buy any mkII Elektron products because I think they might come out with mkIII’s in a few years…

The analog heat seems like a new design, not really an update on previous boxes. Not much on the market to compare it with.

You might then wait a long time for these things and get no benefit today. Always waiting never buying.

1 Like

I guess you wont be buying anything from anywhere forever then… maybe in another life