Business practices [compilation topic]

You are commenting on corporate ethics and Elektrons “failing image” due to their choices.

And how can anybody be cheated that they bought what they wanted lol?
Seriously. OTmk2 is so similar that stating you feel cheated is childish.

I love elektron, and I became their fan and I WILL buy more of their gear so next time people decide to generalize how bad it is for everybody , please come back and read my post.

2 Likes

yes, as relayed to me by new users of the brand. It doesn’t necessarily reflect my own personal opinion.
and since you seem so interested, my own opinion of the brand is that I pretty much want everything they make, without any critical thinking. because they’re my favorite music instrument brand. That’s why I’ve chosen to teach their machines. If i wanted to make money, I’d teach on Roland or Korg :wink:

1 Like

i don’t feel cheated, most of my clients do.
it’s a difference that makes all the difference.
I’m providing the company with feedback from a little portion of their user base.

1 Like

Have you reported this to Elektron ? Because i’m not sure it’s the best place here to be heard by Elektron HQ, in specific case like yours. (of course you discuss of the situation here, i’m not saying you’d better to don’t do this as well…)

EDIT : @secretmusic
At least they should give an official reply to a very specific case and legit one i guess. It’s always good to hear from them… When i have something to tell them, i contact them and i always have very kind, precise and specific reply from simon, jon or olle

1 Like

not yet, as I only now have a bit of time to get on these forums and look around.
you’re right, however, that the forum is not the place to hope for any answer from HQ.
i was simply stating that given the current situation with Elektron releases, it may be wise to advise future clients to hold off a bit instead of getting over excited and impulse buy a machine.

1 Like

Sure but things are going so fast now to keep a company at high position… it’s like producers, they may have to privileged more release even if they are not the best or more polished or better constructed to keep their name in collective mind of PRO who get the promo and PRO who buy music in SHOP… when you see Fred P in january, Fred P remix end january, Fred P EP in february and then again and again and again well bookers want to book the guy… and that’s why people said that we solve by the gigs the problematic of music do not generate anymore money now, it’s a tool to boost gig then… (gig, stage anyway… you get it)

Thats how things evolve…

NB: i give Fred P in example, and put it on parralel with mass production. But i guess it’s a good example his music is quality i really like his music, just as i like Elektron gear. But i can give even better good example of “more release even if they are not the best or more polished or better constructed” :joy:

As much as I’d like an answer on that question myself, if you were to be Elektron, would you answer that question, either on forum, website or in a private message? I think you’ll know the answer…

If Elektron, or any company, would in advance publish release dates of new products, not only would practically nobody buy the current stock, but it would give competitors the opportunity to release competing products in advance.

@secretmusic
i was simply stating that given the current situation with Elektron releases, it may be wise to advise future clients to hold off a bit instead of getting over excited and impulse buy a machine.

I fail to see how buying a 6 year old machine is an impulse buy.
And why is Elektron supposed to be responsible for peoples choices?
I mean you make a choice (action) and you get what you wanted (consequence). What you are saying is I made a choice but I changed my mind and now you/them/they are responsible for it.
Cheating is a very serious accusation especially that you can buy anything you want with your money. AKAI, DSI, KORG, Roland, Waldorf, Novation and so on.
My words to your students, enjoy what you have and make the best of it. Nothing changed since yesterday, features are not taken away, audio quality didn’t degrade and it certainly didn’t affect your ability to make music and if they ever want to upgrade they can swap the compact card and enjoy their projects on the updated boxes (only to find out that everything is still is the same pretty much :wink: :smiley: :thup: )

**you can also encourage them to read specifications of new released gear so they can compare them to what they currently have.
It helps a lot :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes i guess this bloc was easiest to move to his own thread. Again more work to MODS :confused:
Apologize to @avantronica… in name of everyone here

3 Likes

In all due respect, the part I don’t get is that you say your students bought DT and already have OT mk1, but if they would of known about OT mk2 they would have bought that instead… The OTmk2 is the same as the OT mk1 with some different buttons and screen… What motivated them to buy a DT if adding new buttons and screen on their already existing OT outweighs their decision?
Also, what’s a warning about a product release? Isn’t that what they did? It’s not released yet and they announced it will be…
On the third point I have a hunch we have to wait a little more and Elektrons new vision will become more apparent as it seems to be in flux right now…
:okej:

1 Like

Honestly I wish you the best, I guess I bit and really I shouldn’t get caught up in all of this. Music and people are what’s important to me, I’m super easy going and none of this stuff bothers me at all, I more really just wish to others that they not allow it to bother them as well, and just be good people and have fun making music! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

the ones who bought the DT don’t own the OT, and vice versa !
i’d say the 2 machines are mutually exclusive. (or at least, when you have an OT, the GAS for a DT is minimal)

same here, which is why i only visit these forums on rare occasions.

It’s absurd to me that people are whining about a well loved company releasing new product. People need a dose of reality and need to lose this out of touch entitlement schtick. It’s unbecoming.

Let’s say you go and you purchase a new 2017 car. Predictably, 2018 models roll out with some slight updates and a mild price increase. Has that car manufacturer breached ethics or committed shady business practices? Does your 2017 car cease to have utility or value? Oh but the lights are cooler and I like the new colors on the 2018. Well then I’d say you know your options.

Good luck finding any company that makes their product life cycle public information. And if this new launch seems slapdash, maybe we should be reminded of the fact that a retailer leaked in error and probably violated an NDA. I can imagine that may have thrown a spanner into the works.

Dear Elektron: thank you for making insanely good instruments that offer unending inspiration for years. Thank you for listening to the community when they are making sense, and politely disregarding them when they do not. Even though I’ve had my Octatrack now since 2011, it still has a unique feature set that no other instrument at any price can touch. That’s an impressive feat.

1 Like

this comparison does not work, however, even if on the surface it looks like it. the difference is that car manufacturers are EXPECTED to release a new iteration of their current models each year. Your exemple actually reinforces my point. Car consumers KNOW in advance that next year will bring an updated version of the car they’re buying today. So yes, car consumers are in fact aware of the product life cycle. And indeed, because a new model is released doesn’t make the older one obsolete. Sometimes it may make the older one more desirable. I’m not discussing that fact.

so, let me ask you this : car consumers are aware that their model will be upgraded next year. Still, people buy cars every day, knowing full well that a new, upgraded version will come in the next 12 months. What’s the difference ?

1 Like

We made our choices when we selected our purchases. Noone forced it upon us. a4 and OT are 6 - 7 years old so it makes sense they get updated. They will at least be supported for some time to come. If they had been discontinued, support may have stopped sooner, no upgrade path etc. Enjoy the gear chosen, play it until it dies or you get bored of it.

DARK TRINITY FOREVER.

1 Like

May the force be with you!

3 Likes

With the Analog Rytm, isn’t the new “sampling” feature something that is done within OB and not hardware sampling on the device?

Seems to be advertised as hardware sampling, on the device.

To not fall in cliche and put the Force from LG, instead this remix from him about Pressure from Gilb’R

1 Like