Building a Set in Octatrack

Hey all.
So, I’ve got a few sets on my Octatrack that contain bits and pieces that I want to use for a live set. However, as I would imagine is the case for many, I want to get all these into one set/project.

I’ve seen from afar people discussing Octaedit: is that the solution?

Is there a way to consolidate patterns and parts from multiple projects into one project?

Cheers for your help,
Adam

1 Like

octaedit can do this AFAIK, although I am yet to buy a licence myself.

1 Like

Also copy & paste…but not very fun…

Yeah, that would drive me nuts after a few minutes I think.

Well, I’ve done it sometimes…it takes time and patience…

Yeah, it’s not cheap but if it’s fully capable of building a project from all the different patterns and parts across other projects and keep the integrity of it all somehow, well that makes sense.

1 Like

Crikey . . . You must be an incredibly pragmatic person. I think I’d end up in a total mess.

1 Like

Yeah, I think I will buy it as soon as I have something to consolidate… I’m still on my first OT project lol

I’ve only used the OT in an improvisational manner so far… No need to even save pattns that much. Never saved a single sample yet :nyan:

Yeah, I used octaedit for this myself too. It’s definitely a time saver, but it’s still a lot of work and things you need to carefully remember while doing the process.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was wondering how you would maintain the integrity of parts, patterns and samples. I determined to have the Octatrack as the centre of my setup but I know I could record into Ableton what I want and be done with it.
Is it still a pita with the Octaedit?

You can save entire banks in the menu down under change project…
Then you can copy the banks to another project…
16 patterns and 4 parts at a time…

2 Likes

For anyone else reading this it’s probably worlds easier to use one set and one project for a long time…
Easier to purge samples and save banks and delete them then gathering from multiple places…

4 Likes

Woah, that’s a big help.
Copy patterns and the parts that come with them.
That may just be what I’m after.
Cheers Open_Mike. I’ll try that later tomorrow.

1 Like

Very true.
I love OctaEdit, however prior to it being released, I got used to copy and pasting things into consolidated projects manually.
I realized after doing this a few times that I was learning things I didn’t know I was.
My muscle memory got incredible when it comes to all those functions, AND I learned my projects like the back of my hand.
OctaEdit is hella convenient, and if I spent A LOT of time with it, I’m sure it would become more fluid.
Bottom line, consolidating various ideas into one project, is tedious and time consuming, no matter how you do it.
There’s just a lot of decisions to make, and they should be made carefully.

3 Likes

You got what I said right?
Save bank for 16 patterns and 4 parts, use either the OT file manager or usb disk mode and copy them into a project… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know it is. But I’m biased :wink:

Exactly what OctaEdit’s Manager Module is designed to do. Copy “Elements” (Bank, Patterns, Tracks, Parts, Scenes, Arrangements) from any Set/Project to any other Set/Project.

From the FAQ:

The Manager module provides the ability to copy “Elements” and/or Samples from a Source Set/Project to a Target Set/Project; including the ability to remap sample assignments on the fly.

The Manager Module includes a powerful copy engine that utilises one of two modes per Element; “Template” and “Relative”

Template: Use a single Element as a Source to copy to one or more Target Elements; e.g.

Copy from Source Bank 01/A to Target Bank 04/D and Target Bank 07/G and Target Bank 12/L

Relative: Use multiple Elements as a Source to copy to their relative Target Elements; e.g.

OctaEdit maintains all that integrity.

3 Likes