Bug? in FLW-mode the TRIG seems not to do much

IMHO:
Env Sweep = EnvDepth
Sens = “EnvGain”-ish (more like the Trig i would like to have in the AH. Because in the AH when adjusting the gain not much happens for a long time - and then it distorts a few ticks later. )

Again: I know the mutator was made with THIS in mind.
While it seems more a side option in the AH.
And I love the AH for a lot of other things also that the Mutator does not have…

Still: If you want to play around and find a option how you get it to feel smoother, obviously let me know please!

for the example:
https://www.elektronauts.com/uploads/default/original/3X/f/b/fbe88de0365834faa8f17ae1b21462b1202fb8c2.mp3

0:00-0:04: Mutator Filtered Loop, no ENV
0:04-0:08: Heat Filtered Loop, no ENV
0:08-0:24: Mutator not touching Freq or Res, ENV sweep down to -5, adjusting Sens, A+R
0:24-1:02: Heat FLW-Mode, not touching Freq, turing Filter ENV down to -90, adjusting Gain, A+R, Resonance

i looped the beginning of:

see above.
but any disco sample will do :wink:

EDIT: and i’m happy to then to have a “comparison go” in the mutator vst.

So…since I cannot export presets from AH I attach only an audio with four variations of that loop through AH (under my taste of course).

I feel the gap you hear between Mutator and AH about that "groovy swing"the Mutator has in its follower.
But, fwiw, I do not think this gap is that bad…I mean: AH spits so many incredible and even groovier variations because of its many controllable parameters.
I omitted other kind of variations I have stepped on while trying to modulate that disco loop. [there were indeed some incredible transient shaped stuff that were creating a kick from quite nothing!]

Anyway…
Here the flat loop:

And the Heat’ed ones:

2 Likes

niiiice!

how did you do 0:10-0:15

everything else sounds quite like expected.
not bad obvsl, just different, like you say.

again i’m not really complaining, the AH is great. was just hoping i can stop dreaming of a real mutator.

because the filter of the plugin sounds like a 128kbps MP3
and € 2k for a 20+ year old one trick pony… :-p

cheers for your input.
btw: is there anything else you would like to hear from the mutator vst?

Here is my take on this disco loop …

My favorite part is around 1:05 (edit: I meant 1:15)

And the parameters used …

1 Like

mine right at the end when it starts to swell…sweet :man_dancing:

1 Like

Exactly!
I inadvertently cut the audio. So your favorite part is now 1:15 (and no longer at the end of the audio!!)

i couldn’t resist to give the Mutator VST a chance.
i have mapped it out on my Novation SL49 with automap.

• the first 5 minutes is only one channel in mono (to keep it fair on the AH).
  • first with the filter quite open and the follower closing it
  • then the filter closed and the follower closing it.
  • after a while also a bit of LFO
  • sometimes i added a kickdrum for reference and fun :wink:

then from 5:10 onwards it’s the full thing:

• left and right seperate controls for everything (btw: somehow the right envelope still is connected to the left)
  • kick, hihat and snare (without any groove, just quickly added with ableton push)

2 Likes

sorry that we’ve landed a bit off-topic now…

i guess the point i want to make was:

the Heat has almost everything the mutator has (and much more).
Still the Mutator is soooo smooth - even as a plugin. there are hardy any non-sweet-spot settings.

if Elektron would tweak the possibilities of the AH a bit more i’m sure it could sound less harsh and could become a serious option for anybody who thinks about investing around 2000 eur into a Mutator, a Ebbe&Flut or such.
The filter itself sounds really good, i think it’s just the Follower that makes it so harsh.

#dreaming
it could even be with separate control for left and right where possible.
filter & follower could be realistic, just the LFO there is just one i guess

anyway:
am i alone in this bubble, or do you agree?
if yes: maybe we really make a separate topic to make it easier for others to join the discussion
(who are not too bothered about the TRIG knob and never would find their way here)

I’m all for additions or improvements to the AH, I have just got one again after selling my first one, the reason I sold it before was that I felt other gear that I own can do similar stuff, whilst that is still true what I did not account for was the convenience and tidy package that the AH offers, and to be perfectly truthful I don’t think I gave it enough of a chance before. Time will tell I guess.

I think the envelope and trig settings need to be set very carefully to get the best out of it for sure, I have not gone too deep with it just yet, but I spent an hour yesterday running a multi instrument loop through it and experimenting with all of the various settings, I think like the Sherman FB it is much easier to make the sound worse than it is to improve it, but there are plenty of nice things to be found also.

I’d like to see the EQ section have a bit more in the way of customisation, as well as the envelope/follower, I think that I want to try using a CV envelope from the A4 to see if that yields anything interesting, and it could also be fun to do some crush/fm stuff with pitched CVs too.

2 Likes