Bug: Digitakt Pattern Mutes don't seem to be recorded in Overbridge

Hi, I’ve been trying to record in overbridge with ableton live.

I have the latest DT firmware and latest overbridge.

My process is usually that I would record a live set into ableton, recording all my automation so I can tweak it later if I messed something up.

When I press record and start recording track mutes, only the global mutes are being recorded.
When I look in the plugin window, the pattern mute is being enabled etc, so it’s definitely doing something, but the automation isn’t being recorded :frowning:

The issue doesn’t occur with global mutes and I can record those just fine.

I’m honestly not sure if this is a bug with latest update or if this is always how it has worked as this is my first time trying the pattern mutes!

Anyone else seeing this or am I missing something?

Thanks!

I’ve been able to automate pattern mutes from Ableton vía Overbridge, but I can’t record them. So it’s not just you.

1 Like

Just noticed a few other possible bugs, but maybe it’s intended.

1. It doesn’t seem to record the FILL button
  2. It doesn’t seem to record Pattern Change

So it seems I can’t capture a performance fully as midi :frowning:

I think you can send it pattern change info but you can’t record it into Ableton by pressing buttons on the device - these commands are just for internal use, not sent over midi. Happy to be proved wrong, but I think that’s just how it was designed to work

Edit: then again, thinking about it, how would other Elektrons know to change pattern if it’s not sent over midi??? Maybe it’s simply an OB limitation?

1 Like

Yea I’m not sure if the program change recording is a limitation of Ableton rather than Overbridge but I guess you could pseudo solve it by assigning a different CC to program change so that ableton could record that but that probs throws up other probs.

1 Like

Yes, you’re probably right on that. Returning to the original intention of the post, I see there’s a pattern mute midi command on the last page of the manual. No idea what it does exactly, but maybe someone can work it out:

I was thinking about the possibility of recording a live session of the Digitakt as well, I haven’t tried yet. Following :blush:

[edit] Nope, this was just a fluke, it stopped working shortly after writing this [/edit]

I can confirm this behavour to some extent. I’ve created a new Live project with only my 8 separate inputs and the MIDI channel running Digitakt Overbridge.
Knob automation records fine for the most part, sometimes it just stops mapping to the Overbridge VST controls and I have to reload the Live project which makes it all work again instantly.

The mutes are a separate issue. It seems like the value being sent to Overbridge is actually the inverse of what happens when Digitakt then receives the automated value.
Recording a muted section results in an un-muted section and vice versa.

I noticed that the Re-Enable automation button was always triggering and I had another look at MIDI I/O.
I’ve fiddled with this quite a while now and think I’ve managed to solve the problem.
I set my Digitakt MIDI I/O settings like the below picture and the mute/knob functionality seems to work as intended when recording new clips. Old clips still display inverted behavior.

Screenshot 2020-11-02 at 18.53.40

I guess it probably sends a toggle command instead of an absolute value, so when it gets applied again it only looks like it is the inverse?

Yeah I thought so too at first but after running it through a bunch of times I reached the conclusion that it doesn’t matter what state the Mute button is when starting off.
After the Digitakt has received the first command, the subsequent commands always follow the same behavior.

1 Like

I filed a bug using this ticket system and they got back to me saying it’s in the todo list.

2 Likes

Good news! Thanks for asking.

where is the todo list? sorry, new to this site, same problem.

Don’t have any problems recording the mutes of the Dt, Dn and MnM in cubase :wink:

No probs with global mutes in Ableton etiher :smiley: specifically pattern mutes though don’t seem to work