Broken button< help>

sucks

my scene A button broke a while ago now I’m out of warranty and looking to fix it myself, anyone had any success?

Fixed mine.
Does your button sit higher than the rest?

yes! it just sort of popped up when i was using it!! prob due to scrolling down thro loads of samples! not sure if its broken and needs replaced , or has just come loose!!

YES!! its really loose as well!! was it hard to fix??

Just wrote lengthy reply. Then deleted it by mistake.
If you are confident with this sort of thing, it is quite easy fix.
If you are still under warranty send it in.

The ballbearing sits on the contacts. The spring pushes the ball down. It matters which way round the switch is aligned. I used a tiny bit of superglue to keep the spring inside the plunger (tiny amount) - try it without the glue for a bit, it will annoy you, then you will know what to do and why. When you realise what you need to do and you are comfortable with it, a tiny bit of superglue will seal the grey casing back up again.

4 Likes

thanks for that!! doesnt sound too complicated, will give it a bash tomorrow!! :slight_smile:

got it fixed!!! thanks for your help!!

Just for the record, my Function button is broken. The failure mode is that it is defaulting to being pressed. You can imagine what kind of problem this can cause.

I contacted Elektron and they suggest to send it to the west coast to a repair center. They used to have an eastern repair tech. I guess no longer :disappointed:.

argh. this just happened to me. the night before a gig. gonna try the superglue option. everyone please send me some good vibes.

Just take your time and fully understand why you need to do what you need to do.

2 Likes

I thought my function button was intermittent , quick blast of air and I think it’s ok.
Trig 11 is a little sticky , will look at it tomorrow.
My octatrack hasn’t been used properly for a long time which I think is the main cause.

For anyone else’s reference, here’s a picture. The superglue seems to have worked for now. Hopefully it holds up.

Thanks for the tip about the polarity, I was sable to hold the casing down by hand with the power on to check which was was correct. it doesn’t take much for the alignment to make the button stick to the side of the front panel, so make sure that’s lined up properly. The spring will want to push the button up and pull the casing apart, so make sure you have a large enough clip on hand, or something heavyish you can place on top of the button afterwards.

Also didn’t realise that the control board was mounted to the panel, so didn’t need to take off all the knobs. Though it was strangely pleasing to clear those circles of dust that had built up over the years.

1 Like

3 Likes

:smile: Never skips leg day.

Also they look shorter in real life. Isn’t that always the way with pictures?

1 Like

Having same issue with my octatrack, tried fixing my self but made it worse, now I need new button all together and will have to resolder it, does anyone know if mk2 has same button design or did they move to something more reliabale? Myne broke down on the track 5 button.

1 Like

Elektron talked about much more possible buttons press with MKII, IIRC.

Any explanation, advice if I want to do it myself one day?

That is what i followed but it seems like i put more super glue than needed and it froze up the whole button assembly, i tried to dissolve it with alcohol but it didnt help, now i am planning to solder brand new button or possibly just sent it in to elektron to fix. If you are doing it your self, dont make same mistake and use TINY amount of super glue.

2 Likes

I destroyed a knob once, wanting to clean it with acetone + water. :grimacing:

1 Like

That was my planned answer seeing you writing! :smile:
It was to clean a cheap second hand MC307 bought from a guy smoking A LOT!
Sticky, certain knobs not working.
Acetone worked a bit on yellow (previously white) keys, but the knob cap I used to test after melted!

Sure. And dangerous. I exploded a bottle of glass with acid nitric and brass and received some on my body when I was 14. :grimacing:

1 Like