Brian Eno on Apollo

Nice interesting 15 minute video that should appeal to some y’all. A few days late to commemorate the anniversary of the momentous event itself, but this is partly a reflection on the 1983 album from the documentary film For All Mankind and the recently released extended version of the record.

Eno is such a legend. The NASA achievement is literally out of this world though …

15 Likes

I’m in a minority but eno might’ve been relevant in the 70’s but now ?
I know he pops up on media things whenever ambient is mentioned but there are more interesting people doing things.

2 Likes

It’s not just specifically the records he (occasionally) releases that makes him relevant, but rather how he approaches making art and music. He got the jump on many modern music-making techniques that we take for granted, for sure, but his most important contribution continues to be the way he encourages musicians to think about how they might approach art and music. These things are always relevant.

An interesting (and accurate, I’d reckon) quote from a 2014 New Yorker article:

his catalogue of recordings doesn’t completely contain his contribution to the pop canon. When someone lies on the studio floor and sings at a microphone five feet away, Eno is in the air. When a band records three hours of improvisation and then loops a four-second excerpt of the audiotape and scraps the rest, Eno has a hand on the razor blade. When everybody except for the engineer is told to go home, Eno remains.

While his most significant releases were from the 1970s, my own favorite Eno record is The Drums Between the Bells, released in 2011. As it happens, one of other my favorite Eno release isn’t an album, but rather a book… a journal to be exact, called A Year With Swollen Appendices. Also, there is a wonderful book about Eno’s work called Eno and the Vertical Colour of Sound that is well worth a read or two.

9 Likes

This call artist, with his great musical maturity (to a soundtrack), for the advanced space is simply magical(euphoric). Happy News and thank you for sharing!

1 Like

Sure , I get it , I just think there are newer more interesting people around .

I once heard Daniel Miller DJ , damn that was dull…
Sorry to spin this off topic …

1 Like

It truly is.

I watched this last week and it blew me away. I love how you can hear mission control in one ear and central command / apollo in the other. You really get a sense of the rhythm of communication between everyone, and the hierarchy.
Definitely listen with headphones for full effect, and enjoy!

8 Likes

Wouldn’t it have been fabulous for the 50th anniversary if NASA could’ve sent a couple of boys to the moon again and filmed it with iPhones. . with Skype and FaceTime and all that.

Maybe next time it’ll happen and we’ll have scratch and sniff phones by then.

Daniel Lanois is fantastic though.

(Good) Art reveals new means of relevance with every revisitation and change in the existence experience. Your posed mindset is a slippery slope because, in how you describe it, the artists you deem relevant today lose that relevance tomorrow. There is always a new listener to discover a long running artists’ past work and filter it through the here and now on top of whatever influences are contemporary to project advancements in art as a whole.
Without past works, however old, there will just be the equivalent of the “dark age” but with a continuous stream of reference the result is a continued and persistent renaissance.

Relevance is something outside of time/age, although the potency of that relevance in the past/present/future may vary. I see no need to sever ties with our experiential time line as the human race.

OT: Apollo is most likely my favorite Eno album along with “Small Craft…” can’t wait to check out the expanded release.

3 Likes

Do read about. He is easily one of the most innovative artists around by far. And even today. His methodology to approaching music is something absolutely unique.

Watch his long interviews/lectures as well.

Eno has an amazing and still growing body of work. He is far more than the records he released.

It’s funny that in lecture he did, they asked him this question at the end ‘What do you think people would remember you for after you’re long gone’ and he said that people would remember him for his light installations and not his music. I personally have not seen those, but made me really want to.

Well, sure. He invented the term and made the first records that were called ambient music. Same reason he gets mentioned when discussing generative music. It’s cool you think there are more interesting people doing it now (I don’t), but Eno surely deserves props for changing the way so many great artists think about music. I would consider him to be extremely important to modern music

1 Like

Roxy Music are one of my faves. They played at the Apollo in Glasgow back in the 70’s.

1 Like