Brand new Octatrack MKII No Volume at all [resolved/replaced]

Always good to test on a new blank project, default settings…

5 Likes

Is it possible to try actually running the Main outs via 1/4” cable into something?

From your video it looks like you’re monitoring headphone out… Which should work fine provided you set the headphone mix appropriately in the mixer (which it looks like you’ve tried).

Not a solution, just a way of diagnosing the problem.

2 Likes

If there was a hardware issue, like fried converters, you would have audio playing through the headphones, but not through the physical main outs. Because you can’t hear anything from both, and you’re in studio mode, it must be the master track. Everything is digital so if you don’t hear anything it’s a setting. Try again with a blank project, and with the demo projects… BTW, what happens if you resample the main ouput in a track recorder? What does the audio editor show?

3 Likes

I see it also.

1 Like

If you plug your headphones into the main outs, it is quite likely that you won’t hear anything. They are line level outs & will most likely not have enough signal to drive headphones.

3 Likes

Enough to test. No problem.

Also check CC send (Midi > Control), there’s a bug with EXT setting.
No output coming from Octatrack

3 Likes

That’s definitely your problem. When you have nothing to plug it in for now, just try to connect one of the main outs to input A and start the sequencer with the metronome enabled.

The incoming signal LED should start to blink. Record a few seconds from input A with the metronome going and you will see that everything with the box is fine.

2 Likes

Edit: sorry @sezare56 I missed that you posted this above… :blush:

Not sure if this is useful or not, but do you remember the thread a while back where a user had a similar issue? Metronome would always work but the rest of the audio not.

Finding … found!

Of course, don’t stop troubleshooting :slight_smile: I was just reminded of this problem. I think it turned out to be hardware related. Read the thread for details.

2 Likes

I that case, this was the fix that I tested:

5 Likes

Glad to hear you’ve got a working OT now :slight_smile: nice of the retailer to respond so positively!

I’m secretly disappointed we couldn’t troubleshoot to the end though :nerd_face:

1 Like

Who are you responding to? :smile: Did OP PM you that they returned it? :thinking:

Yeah I was wondering as well, in fact OP edited the original post

2 Likes

:point_up:

1 Like

For the record, this happened to me right now. I spent at least half an hour only to finally figure out I had accidentally cued track 8 (the master track).

3 Likes

The audio was going nowhere then as the master track can’t be cued, or rather it can and the track indicator will blink but it won’t do anything, and the cue level is greyed out… :slight_smile:

As usual though, Sezare56 has a workaround…

1 Like

Yes correct, it’s not the exact same issue but definitely a WTF moment, I was working on the first 3 tracks, daylight, I didn’t see the T8 button flashing and was focusing on those 3 tracks (I did check the master fx but still didn’t notice the cue flashing). Cueing T8 acts as a master mute. (But you can’t mute T8 with Func+track! Long live the Octatrack!)

BTW it would have been cool if T8 could really be cued, because we could then send the whole mix to an alternative output for instant outboard processing without sacrificing a track. @sezare56 's method is valid, but if by accident you uncue T7 you’ll get instant feedback, quite a dangerous set-up for live work IMO

1 Like

Not possible in Studio mode.

I use normal mode (I switch tracks from 1 pair of outputs to another, in “cue mutes track” mode) Studio mode is like an aux send.

2 Likes

I rock normal mode too… More flexible in my opinion, regarding muting…
Master track can only be muted if cue mutes track is enabled and you cue it…

1 Like

If you have T7 already muted and cue it, when you uncue it it will still be muted…
-works with cue mutes track…

With cue mutes track you can also unmute a main bus track after cueing and they will both send signal…

1 Like