Braids (or other) as third oscillator for Moog Slim Phatty, all controlled from one A4 cv pair

Has anyone done something like this? A 3-osc slim phatty would be cool! It does have a mono audio in available… I currently secquence my SP from AKeys CV. Can I just split the one CV pair between Braids and Moog and then patch Braids audio into the moog? Are there better options than Braids? I’d like to preserve my AK’s second CV pair and ext in for other duties.

1 Like

After a bit of research this does indeed look pretty straightforward. :slight_smile: But feel free to post if you have some experience with this! …still wondering a bit if I need an attenuverter.

What happens when you try it?

1 Like

What do you mean by ‘split’? One cv from AK to Braids and one to Moog (what about gate?), or do you mean split with a (buffered) multiple?

Both take v/oct, right? The latter would work ofc, first case would need gate to at least the Moog (assuming Braids goes through the Moogs amp env) - or two gates to both Moog and Braids.

1 Like

I’ve only got one box that takes cv, the slim phatty, so no way to test.

1 Like

Sorry, by split I meant use AK’s cv a/b as pitch and gate for both the moog and the braids, or other.

Buffered mult sounds like what I would need. I wasn’t sure what it would be called but suspected splitting would be too simple. Maybe i need a few extra hp for one of these if i go forward with the idea.

Yes, I believe both are v/oct, but i suppose tuning them independently may be challenging if they are fed the from the same cv pair.

1 Like

You may need a buffered mult, but yeah it’s do-able. Used to do this all the time with a PerFourmer and Yarns. Braids has a built-in quantizer option.

1 Like

For stuff like gates, triggers, modulation cv etc., a passive multiple usually works.
For pitch, it’s best to use a buffered mult.

2 Likes

Makes sense! Thanks!

1 Like

Curious about the best osc to invest in for this idea. Open to suggestions!

There are a few modules Link to thread on Muffs for transposing cv, so after the multiple you could run the pitch cv through such a module. This would be an easy way to transpose either the Moog or Braids.

I’m sure there are other ways…change the pitch cv after the multiple (attenuate, offset) and then run through a quantizer maybe?

1 Like

Sweet! Thanks! Will look into this more. Hope i don’t need to devote too many hp to splitting/tuning…

1 Like

Do you have VCV Rack? That would be an easy way to try a few different ways of how to split a sequence. (Midi from AK to VCV Racks midi to cv module is an easy way of simulating the cv coming from AK without the need for any additional stuff).
That would also give you a sense of what additional modules you might want (modulation, ‘utility modules’ etc.).

Depends on what you’re looking for ofc…
Braids or Plaits cover many different types of sounds and scenarios.

VCV Rack also has Braids and Plaits (as well as the other Mutable Instruments modules and modules from other manufacturers), so if you’re unsure whether Braids would be the right choice, you can try it there.
It’s a digital module and the VCV version is really good imho.

3 Likes

Of course! Can’t believe I didn’t think of using VCV rack. I don’t have it now but I think it’s pretty attainable. The midi and audio will take some figuring out but at least I can dig into something now and experiment before I start buying stuff.

1 Like

It’s actually pretty straight forward. The only problem really is, there are now more than 2300 modules :rofl:

You can download VCV Rack here.
Register and log in on the website, then you can choose the modules or packs you want in the library.

When you start VCV Rack and log in there, it will automatically download and install the modules you selected on the website.

Audible Instruments (which are the Mutable Instruments), Befaco, Erica Synths, Alright Devices and E-Series (Synthesis Technology E340) are all Eurorack manufacturers that offer free VCV modules/authorized by the manufacturer.

The quick start guide explains how to setup your audio interface with the Audio8 module.
For midi, you just load the Midi to CV module, select the midi interface and channel and then patch v/oct, gate or what else you need in a patch.

Here’s the manual

Quite a few tutorials are available on youtube, too!

1 Like

Vcv works pretty nicely for this! The digital osc sounds pretty good through the phatty, might be worth looking at a hardware version. Other than the $$, seems like a pretty economical way to squeeze in what almost feels like another synth voice.

1 Like

I have an A4, braids and a sub phatty, want me to try? I think you could just configure the A4 Like this:

CV A cv pitch out to Moog from cv track
CV B cv gate out to Moog from cv track
CV C cv value out to Moog filter cv track
CV D cv pitch out to Braids from FX track

Then you could actually have paraphonic cords as the 2 osc could play different pitches, the vca of the Moog will take care of the braids not being a continuous drone but braids does have it’s own digital vca with a crude envolope

I’m actually running braids through my micro brute with the analogue oscillators and it nicely adds some rhythmic funk when you send the LFO out of the brute to change the tone of braids

It should work totaly ok, passive multing between two destination does not make a big loss in signal (after three it start to get complicated), alos Braids being digital I think it is internaly quantized.

The only problem you might have is that the output of Braid may be too loud for the Phatty audio in and then distort, but i’s not sure at all (and being a Moog it might distort in a nice way hahaha).

Paraphonic is a cool idea! I’m too conservative with my cv pairs. Saving my second pair for something cool. Still not sure what! Always had an interest in transforming the A4 into an A6…

1 Like

Yeah Im kinda hoping passive multing would be forgiven by the onboard quantizing if I do ever end up going the hardware route. I’m finding level control is super important though, so that the 3 oscs can be blended nicely. The phatty’s overdrive works really nicely to warm up the digital osc and push it into new sonic territory.