“Bouncing” Octatrack Stems

I made a custom Reaper File and custom action to sort of automate stems recording on the OT. The route I went with was using Reapers SWS extension to create Action Markers. The custom actions I created would just to the Stop Playback/Jump to next Marker/Arm Track for Record/Press Play. In conjunction with Midi CC for solo/mutes. I was able to automate a “bounce down” for songs. This is a very hacky way of doing it but it worked.

I’m going to link to my Github repo so I’m able to update it and not have to keep track of the files on elektronauts and Github.

The project can be found at Github Account

The project uses some default settings that must be used for the custom project to work properly.
Don’t use Midi Tempo Sync of any sort (for scripting purposes)
Leave the default midi channels (1 – 8) setup for each track
And setup your project according to the Read Me in the Github repo.

I’ve tested this on my roommates OT and was able to “bounce” a song’s stems into 8 separate recordings. Layered them and it was bounced down perfectly.

The python script included is used for moving the markers according to your song length.
Use of the script can be found at Animated Gif
Unfortunately, there’s no easy way for me to move the midi cc items to the marker locations so this will still have to be done by hand.

If this helps just one person I’m happy to help. If there are any ideas that could possibly be implemented, please let me know.

I don’t personally own and Octatrack but I did test it out on a friends OT. This project was made for him personally and I think this could help anyone wanting to perform the same task.

If you’re interested in how this works there’s a tiny gif here
When the playback/recording happens after the transport jump, midi cc is sent out to solo/mute the next channels

Important note - if you use the python script to set your marker placement just overshoot your song length. I wouldn’t want it cutting off part of the song towards the end. Just a helpful suggestion

13 Likes

Dude you rule. Thanks- I would be most interested! I’m totally overbooked with RL but I will check when I can. I will be a bad beta tester due to RL. But you will have helped one person I am sure.

Just do me a favor when you want to give it a shot lets just keep it in this forum post… that way if we run into issues or if you need clarification it can be on this board for anyone else that wants to use that same information. I’ll keep my eye on this post.

I appreciate the kind words.

1 Like

Cool. May I suggest the Cockos forum as well if you haven’t already? Not sure how many Reaper people there are here. I practically fell out of my chair when I saw this thread.

Also is this based on Song Mode or for bouncing patterns? I see you mention songs above.

Technically speaking you can use it for both. The files I provided only really automate the solo/mute operations through midi files (with CC commands) and the marks just provide a specific action to have individual audio files that can be layered later.

My friend’s original use was to bounce an entire song as separate stems for mixing and mastering. So these files were assembled with the song mode in mind.

You could use this in pattern mode but you could possibly have to do some trimming afterward (trimming your loops)

I did think about posting on the Cockos forum but was worried I wouldn’t be able to manage the files and the two separate post (Elektronauts/Cockos) in a timely manner. |I wouldn’t want a user to get frustrated because it took a while for me to respond to them. I may post it there pretty soon.

1 Like

Awesome! Well we are lucky to have Trivorakbridge since we are probably never getting Overbridge

I think it would be quite easy to modify this to get stems of a jam. First, perform the jam and record midi out of the octatrack into reaper. All your pattern, parameter and scene changes will be recorded. Then use the script to play that midi back to the OT and record each audio channel separately.

1 Like