Boss BX-8 / BX-800 mixers

The one you find for the best price that works, honestly.

@ghostbuddy joins the gang

1 Like

Iā€™m also contemplating whether I should also buy a bx-600ā€¦ Does anyone have both a bx-16/bx-8 and an 800? Is there a reason to own both?

No. the 8 channel is what I have and itā€™s more than enough, imo

I was wondering if they sound different, if the distortion is different.

I sincerely doubt it. This is one of those mixers where you dont over think it too much. Just dont over pay. Its not worth it. The sound is like an overdriven tape. It can go into full on dirt as well if thats your thing, but its tougher to control.

I know what it is. I want it purely for the distortion. I probably paid too much for some, but itā€™s exactly what I want and need for my setup so I donā€™t care.

As the other said, do not overpay, it is not magic but it is nice you can just push it really hard on inputs and outputs as well - good to have a soundcard that can take hot signal to get all the benefits. As a mixer - very limited, probably scratchy pots and leaking channels. Went for bx-8 - EFX returns are super noisy - imho unusable so I am routing sends back to channels inputs - which makes you run out of inputs on 8 pretty quick :slight_smile: but you can do some nice feedback loops. I would pay for it as I would pay for a nice efx pedalā€¦ Anyways - good luck hunting! and - if you want just the effect get the battery operated BX-4

Soā€¦I joined the club, I guess. :blush: Currently, I really canā€™t get enough of that thing! I found an BX-8 locally. The guyā€™s father seems to have work as a wedding dj, all outputs had jack to rca adapters, all tracks hard panned left/right in stereo pairs. Anyways, it didnā€™t see much use, practically no scratches!

The Analog Rytm through the BX-8 sounds so delicious. You know how 909 hats in techno sometimes sound like someone tries to process them with a vegetable grater? Rhythmically grating them down? Hmmā€¦delicious!
I might have opened the door to a new obsessionā€¦

The main out has a switch to set output levels to -4dBm or -10dBm (corresponding to 0 on the output meter) and the RCA output is -10dBm. I guess that helps with running the mixer in the reds. Just in case anyone missed that.

1 Like

I paid 200 euros for a bx-16 thatā€™s in very good condition. One of the best gear purchases Iā€™ve made ever.

1 Like

I like those old Boss mixers. Iā€™ve got a BX-8, BX-600, KM-400 and a KM-60 with modded mute switches that I inherited from my stepfather. Plan to hook the latter permanently up with my MachineDrum to soften up itā€™s digitalness. Used to have a BX-16, sold it. 16 channels is overkill for me since I mostly use these mixers for drum machine submixes (usually 8 channels max).

3 Likes

I love this combo too. Single outputs to the mixer and back to the inputs on the Rytm for more compression is my preferred routing. A lot of distortion effect units reduce the bass frequencies. With these Boss mixers you can fix that with the eqā€™s.

3 Likes

Yeah, Itā€™s soooo good. I want to buy a BX-8 for the smaller form and dedicate it just for the Rytm.

2 Likes

Any modern mixers that have that crunch/distortion?

1 Like

Just bought a bx-8 without a PSU. Googling around for a replacement PSU wasnā€™t very promising, and most suggestions are building your own.

But after some more googling, the mixer it self is using Ā±15V internally, so it doesnā€™t require the Ā±21.5V from the original PSU.

So then I came over this one from thomann Ā±18V

Anyone got any thoughts on this? Can it work?

EDIT:
Ah, assumed it was outputting DC, but itā€™s not. Would need to add a rectifying circuit to make this work thenā€¦

Just a loose thing. Having a blast testing out Rytm Mk2 through a BX-800!

I spent quite a while doing the ā€œBlown Outā€ thing, and it has it in spades, but here I wanted to dial it back to something I might actually use in my music.

Iā€™ve always kind of struggled with the Rytms sound but never really dove into what some external processing could do for me, even if its just a shitty old crunchy mixer.

Something about it takes the edge off, plus the quick access to a bass/treble knob let me tilt things to places I have trouble doing on the standalone rytm.

Song, patterns and mix need work. Just a fuck around :smiley:

7 Likes

ok ok, nobody came here looking for the types of sounds in my last clipā€¦

so here is the BX800 tearing my rytm a new one. Messy, noisy jam.

E: Another semi-chill one. Still Straight Rytm through BX800

Jelly of DT2 owners stereo so I duplicated the pad sound and effected each differently. Also a perf to glitch them out with separate loop rates.

7 Likes

That first one is brutal! :bomb: