Boss BX-8 / BX-800 mixers

Behringer makes one too! More I/O so might be a better option (depending on sound of course)

Hi, considering buying a BX8 or BX800. My questions are the effect sends.

I have Stereo effects I want to use with this mixer are the sends stereo?

I heard the BX8 has 2 sends and the 800 only one, could i do a left/right split with the BX8 for stereo effects?

Thanks for your time , Jim

1 Like

Yes, the BX800 has only one fx send, and it’s certainly mono. I have a a BX800 and the BX16, The fx returns on both have awful noise, so I feed the returns into input channels on the BXs or another mixer,

1 Like

I have an Ibanez RM80, it‘s nice I really like the overdrive but the EQs are where the real magic happens. It only has one effects channel though but thr EQs make it worth it.

Unrelated: Mine desperately needs to be fixed (all the channels have different noise levels) if anyone has any tips where I could get that done I would greatly appreciate it :slight_smile:

i did the same as Skypainter. I just used it as a sub mixer into a compressor (alesis 3630 for the sidechain biz) and then that, stereo, into my main mixer.

tbh 1 channel on my boss broke and i really don’t feel that inspired to fix it. it’s a nice gadget, but very one trick pony. also esthetically it wasn’t the kind of grit/distortion i liked, or liked enough to keep in rotation here. i stopped doing DAWless jams and am focused on producing/releasing, so just going to keep my saturation done with UAD preamp emulations and whatnot.

i’m keeping it around just in case i decide to one day play live. i’ll certainly push something through it in that scenario. highly unlikely i will though :smiley: panic attacks n that.

I have both and really love them. The sends are mono, but the returns are stereo. I use these mixers a lot. They are not clean sounding boxes, but if you turn up the gain controls, they distort the signal in a great way.

Here is an example:

7 Likes

Hi, was on lookout for some smaller mix and started hunting down BXs - 16 is too large but there are some nice looking ones around. At the moment I have BX-800 underway bit beaten up but let’s see what comes in the box - was dirt cheap.

Was meant to ask here - specs on the inputs are quite different for 8 vs 800 how would that effect the sound? Will I have to push it harder ? :slight_smile:

BX-4/8/16
Input Level -50dBm to -10dBm
Impendance 1,5Kohm 100Kohm

BX-800
Input Level -50dBm to +4dBm
Impendance 1,8Kohm ot 160Kohm

2 Likes

Interesting find!

Higher impedance should mean more room for error in input matching (which can be seen in those examples).

I doubt you would notice a difference unless you really compared them. Also, remember each input has input gain control too.

Have fun! I recently saw Matrixxman doing some studio work with a BX-8. Love to see people still at their roots!

One more thing, somebody on youtube said that because BX-4 is 9V/Battery it has smaller (shorter?) headroom and goes to overdrive earlier -> would this mean that it saturates more at the end? There are some nice looking bx-4s as well floating around…

At the end I got BX-800 for 15e but it is in a quite a state so I decided to keep it for spare parts and got very well maintained bx-8 for 65e. I just love that thing. I would like it to have the pots of 800 but I think I will get used to it.

Here is an audio running kick through it slowly moving channel gain up to max while trying to match the volume on fader, then I add the both EQs to max and then I push the master faders all the way and the back. Not probably everybody’s taste but I find the sounds very nice, starts doing things I just do not know where they are coming from…

Cannot add attachments here so the same post here on GS Gearspace.com - View Single Post - Boss BX-800 mixer - worth it?

4 Likes

Nice! I also have both.

I had a few of these, ended up only using it as an overdrive so I kept the smallest one I had (a BX-600, no EQ). I wire it up on an aux send on other mixers so I can run the distortion in parallel to the clean signal. Keep some of the original signal this way.

2 Likes

What’s wrong with it? Others seem to swear by it.
(I’m still looking for an MN-15/MN-50 from your recommend :slight_smile:)

1 Like

Others have seemed to have some luck. From what I remember the noise floor was just way higher at high gain. I think I remember there being some buzz or hum too. Checking the BX-4s out could definitely yield some nice results, but just be wary.

The MN-15/50 is a great little studio tool as well!

I have a BX-80 that I like a lot. It doesn’t go CRAZY but it sounds pretty crunchy and nice, and is generally just a fun analogue mixer to use with drums. I wish the knobs were a bit larger and not the wee mini things mind.

As a protip for anybody looking at these, I am sure it’s already been mentioned, but I’ve seen a few people make the mistake recently: be careful about the power supply. Some of these units require a weirdo proprietary PSU that is almost impossible to find.

1 Like

8/16 has the external ps - you can buy a made to order PSU but at around 60e that is quite expensive and you should ask for real discount if it is not included
4 is battery operated or standard 9V

60/600/80/800 internal supplies get the right one for your country or there is other problems 110->230 etc…

nice looking units seem to be popping up quite often and the build is solid…

1 Like

Which is the best of the whole BX series?

The one you find for the best price that works, honestly.

@ghostbuddy joins the gang

1 Like

I’m also contemplating whether I should also buy a bx-600… Does anyone have both a bx-16/bx-8 and an 800? Is there a reason to own both?