Books that helped you make better music

I know it’s not a book, but I enjoyed every single episode of this series I was able to watch: Classic Albums - Wikipedia - maybe you will find some of what you are looking for here.

From me +1’s to “This is your brain on music” (Levitin) ; “How music works” (Byrne) + being The Roots obsessive I also enjoyed Questlove’s “Mo Meta Blues” & “Creative Quest” - AMAZING thread - thank you all for your contributions - 7 books in cart for now :smiley:

Mainly my personal journal. I also snap a lot of pictures and make a lot of picture books. I physically bind them myself. Locks in the magic.

1 Like

I see my question is now merged into this thread by one of the mods. I understand it looks similar, but I tried to choose my wording so people wouldn’t just think only about books on music itself. :pray:t2:

Then here’s one: “Writing Tools” by Roy Peter Clark. Obviously geared toward prose writing, but a lot of the tips are easily adapted to music:

–Establish a pattern, then give it a twist
–Cut big, then small. Prune the big limbs, then shake out the dead leaves
–Give key words their space. Do not repeat a distinctive word unless you intend a specific effect.
–Foreshadow dramatic events or powerful conclusions. Plant important clues early.
(And more)

The advice is clear, with strong explanations and a wide variety of examples. Highly recommend.

2 Likes