Books that helped you make better music

AC_UL320_SR224,320

4 Likes

agreed have to have the book in hand when it comes to music takes notes etc put a rubber band on the page you need no screen savor or battery death to worry about

2 Likes

You could memorize it and play with both hands, smartypants! :wink:

1 Like

Coming out in August:

Reading this, not sure if the book is helping me make better music but I’m enjoying the concepts discussed

The Complete Guide to Synthesizers - Devarahi

OOP and from 1982 but still a great guide to the fundamentals of analog/subtractive synthesis (with lots of patch examples), the PDF is out and about.

2 Likes

A fair few years since I read it, but as I recall, this was both very useful (to me) and bloody funny too! :slight_smile:

i’ll take a look at this one! What a cool thread! :smiley:

Really eager to find more books about writing and composition.

I would love to learn more guidelines, frames of works to help improve myself for

• Pop genres
  • various electronic pattern/layered music
  • experimental stuff

this subjets are often covered by the prism of classical or concrete music in a way that is too deep for my needs and thus discouraging!

Any other ideas?

3 Likes

One of john coltrane’s favorites

1 Like

Love this book

1 Like

For french speaking people, I strongly recommend training courses by Xavier Collet.
Followed his video courses hosted by Elephorm about Reverb, compression, sound design.

Great teacher IMHO, university background with Professional skills.
Resulting in quite comprehensive, Initiation friendly training courses, without being simplistic! :+1:

Not a book but watever!

1 Like

it’s hard to believe, but manuals.
i always first RTFM completely and then decide to buy (or not) the gear i’m thinking about.
this really works. and well written manuals contain quite a lot of useful tips & tricks applicable elsewhere.

4 Likes

9 Likes

I get emails notifying me when people comment on this thread, I clicked an email that looked like it was from elektron and this picture popped up huge, I thought monomachine mk3 was happening briefly :sad:

2 Likes

DAMN…sorry man. :grimacing:

1 Like

Reading the Waldorf Blofeld manual, I noticed that, although only here and there, they added quite a few tips on sound design in the manual. I think this is a nice touch and thought it would be nice if other manuals would do that too. One could then read a manual like a book. I actually like reading manuals and appreciate a well written one.

4 Likes

I really enjoyed the Ableton book (battery’s gonna die or I’d get a link for ya)

And the book “lies my music teacher told me” is another good book.

“The inner game of music” is a bit bass-centric but is excellent!

2 Likes

5 Likes