Bongo / conga sounds on Rytm MKII

Hi,
You could buy that unexpensive soundpack and analyze it:

6 Likes

Maybe use the FM snare machine without noise?

2 Likes

That’s an excellent idea. For someone who never bought and installed packs on Rytm — is there anything I should know? Does it work on Rytm 2 as well as the first?

You will have to use Elektron’s Transfer 1.4. and the latest OS on your AR.

Basically there are 3 steps:

1. AR has to be switched to USB MIDI Mode not Overbridge Mode
  2. Choose the desired Bank of the +Drive (sub menu of Sysex Dump Receive) where the sounds shall be received and let the AR wait for receiving them.
    3 Start Transfer and send the sounds (or sysex) files to your AR …

Details => Transfer manual.

4 Likes

Thank you so much! Doing it now!

1 Like

Good luck, I’m just diving into that topic as well. After some trial and errors I’ve learned how to handle these transfers.

1 Like

For conga sounds, the basic xt xlassic machine (on lt/mt/ht) is not bad at all…

2 Likes

I found that Transfer didn’t install the kits/ patterns properly (I’m on MacOS) and after speaking to Support I ended up needing to use a SysEx utility. I used SysExLibrarian but I think you can use C6 as well if you need to.

2 Likes

I haven’t unpacked the sounds yet, but myself I found good results with RS algo (rimshot). It’s pretty close, but needs some tweaking. I think I need to decide for myself if I want it realistic, or should I just embrace the synth part of it. Will play around with it a bit more.

I’m also wondering if I will be able to create tambourine or a shaker with repeats. Will explore next week.

Yes, I wasn’t able as well, but didn’t get to SysEx yet. Will try today. Thank you for suggestion.

Wow these demos sound great. Thanks for the shout (and thanks @taro for the great sounds)

2 Likes

That’s annoyig but great that you’ve solved the issue.

I’m on Win 10. There Transfer works so far as documented in the manual.

@cuba1956 BTW: If you want to import a project and patterns imho it’s “best” first to create a new empty project and redo/check MIDI config (these settings are bound to their project) and then do the import.

I don’t know if you have an A4, but their A4 percussion pack is amazing as well.

I can’t believe the sounds they were able to make.

5 dollars for each is quite the bargain

3 Likes

I’ve heard that Elektron will be releasing the Bongotakt before the end of the year.

5 Likes

Thanks for the introduction!!

The best machine for percussion sound design is the Rimshot.
I will update this pack in the near future.

6 Likes

Thank you for making this pack available, bought it yesterday, but haven’t installed it yet. Appreciate your effort. I also found rimshot the closest engine to what I’m looking for.

Have you tried to get something close to tambourine or shaker?

Shaker and shekere sounds are really easy to make by playing with the noise engine and amp envelope on any of the tracks.

Same for Tambourine sounds: noise engine with HP filter around 110, max resonance, very short amp envelope…

1 Like

Fantastic, I’ll try that! Thank you so much!

Short video (taken with my phone) demonstrating the transformation of a noise engine sound from shaker to tambourine just by increasing filter resonance and shortening the amp envelope…

5 Likes

This is fantastic, thank you so much for sharing this. I’ll try this tomorrow, we’ll have a jam with a friend.

1 Like