Board games recommendations

7 Wonders or if you just palying as two: 7 Wonders duels.
Very deep game where also the downtime is very low.

1 Like

I’ve not played the standard version, but have played Codenames: Pictures with large groups and that was a blast.

I also have to say that Concordia is a wonderful game. Very elegant design, nice balance of sophistication and accessibility.

Similarly, I really like El Grande. And of course, when you find a game you like, plug it into boardgamegeek and see what else is recommended.

1 Like

My uncle gave my family our first computer in the late 90’s, one of the games he gave us was you dont know jack, me and my brother used to play it all the time, havent thought about it in yeeeeeears.

I have been playing a ton of Root (TTS), Concodia (http://www.boiteajeux.net/) and Twilight Imperium (TTS)

At home we have been playing Terraforming Mars, and Root. Root is legit one of my Favorite games of all time.

4 Likes

Just started playing this recently :+1:

1 Like

Root is quite similar to the COIN series of games I mentioned. There are some obvious differences, but the one time I played Root I remember I thought it seemed COIN inspired, and it is often called a «COIN lite». So if your group at some point want something new, but similar, Cuba Libre might be worth a look.

1 Like

I am aware of the COIN games, but have never played them. Thank you for the reccomendation.

Have you played TI on Tabletop Simulator? There is a full discord with games firing often.

Cool thx Matthew
didnt knew that

What would you recommend to play (2 players) for someone who has never even heard of the games in this post but really interested to try? :nosey:

2 Likes

If you have a tablet ( or ipad) you can download app versions of most of the games listed.

I would say for new board gamers, Carcassone, Alhambra, 7 wonders, Ticket to Ride are all great intros to euro games. They all work fine as 2 player games.

If you like the app, you’ll like the board game. I prefer actual boardgames as I like to get my hands on things and move them around.

Oh… Azul is brilliant too!

2 Likes

Thank you I’ll check them out :+1:t2:

1 Like

Also Shut up and Sit down (youtube channel) do very good game reviews. Theyve been around for years so most games are on their channel.

3 Likes

We only played the basics in our home (monopoly, apples to apples, etc) until we picked up Ticket To Ride a few years ago. It was easy to try with the ios app and very simple to pick up.

We also really enjoy Carcassonne a lot as a two-player game, a little complex at first but super simple once you get the hang of it. Pandemic is a step up in complexity but equally as fun since it’s cooperative. Catan is also a family favorite we play at all major holidays, thoigh it’s not two player.

Honestly. Check out YouTube for game play to see if it’s for you, there are tons of resources, along with BoardGameGeek.com, to get an idea before you buy. I personally like Wil Wheaton’s TableTop too.

I’d also throw out not to underestimate a good card game for two-players. Before the pandemic, my partner and I would aways bring a deck of cards with us to bars, and would often play Gin Rummy with traditional cards, Skip Bo, ad Scopa. They’re affordable, portable, and easy to pick up and play.

2 Likes

There is a card game version of catan for 2 players and it really gives the Catan feeling

1 Like

Anyone heard of this? Fighting Fantasy series inspired. Makes me wanna compose some dark ambient to be played in the background.

I’ll just leave this here:

My current favourite is Brass Birmingham! We come from a group where we played quite a lot of Catan with several expansions at once. However at some point there is still the thing of the dice.

Brass Birmingham is all strategy. It’s a tough game to learn, might take you two of three times to get it, but once you do it’s a masterpiece.

A more casual recommendation is star realms. Casual deck building game that will also work in parks etc during the summer!

2 Likes

May I recommend tracking down a VHS copy of the Nightmare Video Boardgame. And a 576i TV, and VCR player for that matter (lol)

Have fun!

There’s a few sequels also…

1 Like