Blush Response calling out Elektron Manuals

Elektron manuals are fine by me, besides my own inability to understand a few p-lock passages.

Roland though…
Even on their simpler things like the new T-8 or J-6 are just strange at times.
On second thought, it may just be how I’m viewing their online manual. I recommend downloading the PDF instead of navigating the web version.

4 Likes

It is not just you, and PDF doesn’t help much. Roland manuals are awful. I might have more than one of their devices if that weren’t the case. (Also Roland Cloud Manager is something I’m never installing again.)

5 Likes

Reading the SH-4d manual to figure out how the thing works was an exercise in masochism. It’s unclear, badly organized and missing vital information in basically every section.

5 Likes

It’s bizarre, huh? Roland is a huge player in this field but are still sorting themselves out when it comes to explaining their own products.

Another plus for Elektron are the nice little tips and notes in the manuals with nice graphics.

4 Likes

Haha, yeah I noticed that too. He ain’t having it. To be honest…I’ve never read one either. They just clicked for me, although the OT…that’s a different story.
If I was a psychologist I’d ask my clients whether or not they read manuals.
“No, I can’t stay focused on them.”, ah ADHD.
“Yes”, YOU SOCIOPATH!

2 Likes

A friend of mine bought a Roland D-10 and asked me to teach him how to use it, which involved me reading the manual. The manual is insanely bad. I assumed that Roland documentation had improved since 1988. Sounds like maybe it hasn’t.

If anyone has corrections or suggestions for Elektron documentation, you can post them to this thread and @eangman will take note:

3 Likes

One of my favorite Roland moves is when you are scouring the ‘Owner’s Manual’ for some info that should be included in it, but you can’t find it. Then you realize that there is also a ‘Reference Manual’, with info that should really just be included in the ‘Owners Manual’, but someone cherry-picked some tidbits out of it to only include with the ‘Reference Manual’.

9 Likes

Try reading some of the old e-mu and yamaha manuals and then come back and talk to me.

4 Likes

Elektron manuals are my only reading material.

3 Likes

I like the manuals in general but there are parts that I don’t fully understand no matter how many times I read it.

I would prefer online documentation not in a page format but by sections without the need to read something that’s span on two pages or 4 subjects on the same page, that’s just easier for me to read.
also maybe videos like ableton do…

but they are still better then the Roland ones…

:thup: if I don’t see this icon I’m not reading it.

4 Likes

“I would actively discourage reading them” lol

1 Like

In a way it makes sense. It’s a technical manual after all, not a manual on harmony.
There are no specific notes in a Major, Minor, Sus, etc. chords. Only a set of intervals.

3 Likes

Wait, there’s manuals ??

2 Likes

I can understand there’s a lot to read in the manual. As for any complex thing, like the Cirklon.

There was a time when Elektron had trouble with consistency throughout their line of products (Snapshot vs Project, Kits becoming Parts returning to Kits then disappearing, Pattern being the whole tracks’ patterns, etc).
Today a lot of attention is brought to this.
But it has less to do with manual that hardware implementation, so you can’t blame @eangman for this.

Of course, not every trick could be in the manual… but it’s true that a step by step workflow for a precise goal could be pretty handy.
Maybe @blushresponse aren’t aware they can suggest anything in the Documentation thread:tongue:

5 Likes

Never had to “read” an Elektron manual since the Octatrack manual, although I sometimes have to lookup a particular thing in it (example: CC numbers). The Octatrack manual is horrible to read though, not because it is badly written but because the Octatrack has obscure names for flaky concepts in the first place

#dealwithit

2 Likes

haha you guys i was kind of fucking around!!! whoops

35 Likes

Extremely niche, laser-targetted clickbait though!

You must have got at least oooooh 20 more views from people in this thread :wink:

5 Likes

just another trigless trig :wink:

17 Likes

This !