Blokas Midihub

I can confirm what @Jukka said, you can set up multiple clocks each with their own tempos and route them to different outputs. I just tried it and it works perfectly with the hardware.

2 Likes

Wow, thanks for the detailed response, I think Iā€™ll definitely have to get one of these! I wonder how much they will cost when they start taking orders again.

I donā€™t even know what Iā€™d do with half of those functions but I can feel that itā€™ll all add up to something incredibly powerful!

2 Likes

Was looking around for a way to control the tempo of the internal Midihub clocks remotely ā€“ like for instance a CC value or something. Looks like the Tempo of internal clocks are fixed.

I worked out a way that i think i can change the tempo from one value to another, by having a control key through Transform stop one clock and starting another, and another key doing the opposite.

But so far i havenā€™t figured out how to do an accelerando and ritardando to an internal clock. Obviously you could use an external clock for this.

EDIT: I figured it out ā€“ yes you can do accelerando and ritardando. You use the map function to attach a parameter to a control.
NOTE: You need to be running the Midihub Editor live with a Midihub attached in order to make ā€œmapā€ (in the editor) work. I still havenā€™t received the Midihub so this wasnā€™t obvious to me, but it is now. This makes all kinds of things so much easier.

1 Like

Maybe this is something theyā€™d consider adding, on that note. Have they said much on the future of this thing and itā€™s firmware?

Does anybody know if I can easily change midi routing with this device? I have a keyboard and pads, and I may want to send that to either instruments I have. So I need 2 inputs going to either output 1, or output 2, easily switchable.

I could RTFM as well :blush:

1 Like

Got this email from Blokas this morning. They are opening up orders for the Midihub.

Good news, everyone!

The wait is finally over :clap: and Midihub direct orders will open tomorrow at 12:00pm GMT! :partying_face: We are giving you a heads up as currently we have 300 Midihubs fully assembled, tested and ready to be shipped out :package: and to be honest we donā€™t have the slightest clue how long the stock will last. :rocket: :blush:

And in the meantime we invite you to check out the new @SynthDad tutorial :video_camera: on how to use Midihub to create generative ambient music. :point_down:

4 Likes

I think Iā€™ll mostly likely be getting one, the range of control you have over the midi LFOā€™s is enough to have me sold on one!

I have an mio10 which Iā€™m currently using all the ports on so this thing alone wouldnā€™t be enough for studio so I wonder how Iā€™ll combine the two togetherā€¦ Seems like itā€™ll be interesting!

They will be supporting it with improvements as necessary. In this case the Midihub can do an accelerando and ritardando so they donā€™t need to fix anything. I am still figuring things out with it (see my edit above), but the more i learn the more powerful i find this thing to be.

Perhaps you saw, they put a price up of ā‚¬164 .

Yes easily.

So, your mapping is to the editor software only while itā€™s running, not something locally? As in, you canā€™t map it to internal parameters, and unplug from the editor? Mine arrives tomorrow!

No that should work (mine arrives soon too) itā€™s just you need to have your configuration set up because it uses a ā€œMIDI Learnā€ sort of system to map the connection ā€“ so there is nothing to map, unless youā€™ve got real stuff in configuration hooked up. Once itā€™s mapped, it will remember that ā€“ or so i would suppose, with me not actually having one.

Sounds more complicated than it really is when youā€™re using it.

1 Like

This was my assumption as well. Really hoping thatā€™s the case. There are so many mappings that are useful to get more out of the device. Especially simple things like adjusting LFO rate of the internal modulators. Cool! Itā€™s going to be hard to concentrate on work this week with this thing arriving!

Yes placed my order just now, canĀ“t wait!

2 Likes

Placed mine too

1 Like

I just ordered one too, Iā€™m excited as non BPM synced LFOā€™s have been a very big part in my music lately and having these very flexible ones being sent separately from my sequencer will be very interesting! oh and the split tempo stuff is also very interesting to me!

Anyone got any ideas for what we could potentially suggest as future firmware upgrades?

1 Like

There is a forum, with a special section for feature requests: https://community.blokas.io/

2 Likes

179 leftā€¦Depleting fast it seems ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I ordered also one, just after opening there was one gone. So its going fast. Iā€™m planning to use it for OT duties.

1 Like

Is it possible to block only specific CCs ?

1 Like

YES ā€“ From the Midihub Editor Context Help:

CC Range Filter

A modifier pipe that can discard or keep MIDI CC events in the desired ranges.

Both ends of the ranges are inclusive.

A single pipe can store up to 9 argument values which are shared for the interval ranges, as well as single values. In case of running out of space, a tooltip regarding it will get shown. If youā€™d like to define more ranges, just put multiple Range Filter pipes in series.

Example Range

Filter Mod Wheel MSB and LSB, and Channel Mode messages:

1, 33, 120-127

Parameter Description
Bypass Whether processing is enabled.
Drop in range Whether to drop messages within any of the ranges. Disabling this would inverse the operation and make it keep messages within the ranges.
Ranges A list of interval ranges and single values. See above for examples.

=====================================================================

You can map the Bypass, and Drop in Range parameters to external control.

I see the use for mapping the control of Bypass, to turn the CC filter ON and OFF.

Iā€™m scratching my head thinking how to use the inversion of which messages are Dropped. I suppose you could have two banks of CC messages that youā€™d like to switch between in operation. Iā€™m still scratching my head a little. Anyone else have a thought on this ?

By the way i love the ā€œcan youā€ questions. Iā€™m pretty sure the answer to most are yes, but itā€™s good to actually work out the how. In my next post iā€™m going to ask a ā€œcan youā€ but itā€™s probably a little more complicated, i need some help.

ADDED: The Context Help in the Midihub Editor is a very nice feature. It will help a lot, when making new patches. Even the graphics they use for pipes are helpful, because they are pretty clear to indicate each pipes function, so you can look at the ā€œplumbingā€ (of pipes) and get an idea of what something will do.

ADDED: Idea ā€“ What if you put a series of these in a row, each with different CCs to Drop, and then turned them individually (with Bypass) ON and OFF to change the operation of your synth from a midi stream. Would make for nice variations.

2 Likes

Midihub is here, I will connect:

1. elektron digitakt (sequencer no1),
  2. arturia keystep (keys, sequencer no2),
  3. novation launchpad pro mk3 (pads, controller, sequencer no3)
  4. novation zero sl mk1 (optional general controller),
  5. Waldorf Blofeld
  6. Waldorf Pulse2.
  7. A PC for fx, mixer, overbridge etc.

Lets say we will need to start a master clock, maybe the keysterp or the digitakt. I am thinking of the keystep as the master because i will end up using only the midi out.

• Digitakt will use both midi i/o for the loopback tweak.
  • Launchpad pro mk3 will connect to the PC for ableton live control but it will control both synths as well or even midihub it self via custom cc templates.
  • Zero SL for what it can offer if connected at the end, could provide maybe some extra cc for anything, synths, midihub etc.
    There is also a ā€œKenton Midi Thru 5ā€ device, in order to provide some additional ports if ever needed.

So I guess I will have to build a basic preset for all those routes, and then evolve those routes with alternative pipe modifications ready to be used at will.

Ideal setup would expose every device to both synths, bypass the Digitaktā€™s PB/MW/AT issue filtered out data (yes it does filter those messages out - cannot pass through midi i/o, and also cannot record them), and of course use the Digitaktā€™s loopback tweak with all unused data filtered out in order to be safe from midi data overflows/errors.

Lets see where it goesā€¦ if anyone have similar devices, lets expand the possibilities. Any idea can be useful ā€¦

2 Likes