Blokas Midihub

I have a UC4 and a MC6 MKII. This will help me merge and distribute those a little better. I really like the midi filtering and routing options. The UC4 is definitely going to open up. The MC 6 is more for my Eventide H9s, but I have a few use cases. Especially if this hub creates the simplicity. I see midi hub as a big deal for my UC4, OT, and Clock to pedals.

The preset switching is a huge catch, as I perform live regularly in several different configurations depending on the band and the set.

Yes, I have a ZOIA. I think this will be a cool way of interfacing with he UC4… even though it’s fine just directly plugged in. The ZOIA will probably not make it to my main board. I play live too often, and I’d just be taking it on and off to use in the studio/programming it at my desk. I miiiiight make a little auxiliary board that sits on my desk, that I can also take out to select shows as needed.

1 Like

I don’t really get the point of this little thing I guess. For me all the MIDI juggling is rather an option, while a standalone MIDI hub capable of dealing with USB as well as MIDI DIN and perhaps even CV would be the heart of any setup.

But I might be wrong, seeing how it sold pretty fast.

It’s starting to become more necessity than option for me. It cleans up extra stuff in my world. I do wish it had a USB midi host as well. The utility is going to address a few issues I’m working around right now.

3 Likes

Question:

In terms of starting into motion a continually generating, evolving system of midi information, both musically and at the CC/CV level,

if you had this Blokas MidiHub, & a Cirklon Hardware Sequencer, & a few RK-002 MidiAtor Cables,

could all those MIDI/CV components just circle jerk themselves onto a bunch of EuroRack hardware, forever?

“Dream - Baby - Dream”

Cheers!

“The life of a Repo Man is always intense.”

so at its heart midihub can ‘only’ alter a midi stream - so changing pitch, velocity, alter destinations, filter etc etc.
it can not (currently) generate arbitrary messages… e.g say like a sequencer,
BUTthis can be done with a little bit of ‘creativity’ e.g. harmonise one note to make many, then randomise its pitch, or use delay to create echos in time … and of course, if you are very careful, you could create feedback loops

bringing in a sequencer is fun, because this means you suddenly get some control over this process.

Ive been using the midihub with both the Squarp Pyramid and Hermod (for Eurorack/CV), so now the source of midi stream comes from the sequencer, and the it can also modulate parameters on the midihub … and the midihub can ‘do its thing’

for extra fun, both the pyramid and hermod also have midi fx, so they can also mangle the data too

one particular combo I like is using euclidean sequences on the squarps to drive the midihub :slight_smile:

3 Likes

i just happen to have a Pyramid arriving on Monday after a couple of years procrastinating … :slight_smile:

Going to give my BomeBox a shot at midi processing duties for the moment, which seems it will be a lot more technical and codey … love the look of midihub’s elegant GUI.

2 Likes

Ok, so I’m not 100% sure I need this, but after seeing Loopop’s video I’m thinking it might be cool for messing around with the DT’s MIDI outputs, and I was thinking about getting a Thru box anyway. Preordered!

2 Likes

Cool, pyramid is a great sequencer and lots of creative options.
I like the midihub with it to have more midi din in and out.
I am pretty tempted to add a bomebox into the mix - I think it’d be a nice companion to midihub as it would add network midi, and a usb host :slight_smile:

1 Like

Random thought: The Blokus MidiHub could probably be configured to poly-chain multiple synths as they demoed within the Octatrack… Like say, 2 (or 5!) Analog Fours? If you had one A4 as master, and 4 more at the MidiHub outs, that’d be an Analog Twenty… :elan::elan::elan::elan::elan:

I’m refreshing myself on my NDLR this afternoon in advance of Pyramid’s arrival.
Midi-based modular comes to mind … time to dig out an old Fantom XR from the attic.

Wow NDLR as well, that’s sounds like an amazingly creative setup!

For comparison as an alternative to the MidiHub, in addition to the BomeBox hardware, there is also the Sipario from Lab4Music.

It has two DIN MIDI ins and two DIN MIDI outs, plus one USB port that can be configured to be either a USB host or a USB device port. (You need a special USB cable.) It has a color touch screen, which allows you to set up a variety of functions and select between them, that can be used in performance. The Sipario is quite diverse in it’s programmability.

Comparing the three (MidiHub, BomeBox, Sipario) across all their functions is complicated in detail, and should be considered relative to your specific application needs. There are significant differences between them.

One advantage to the Sipario over the other two is that it needs no external computer to program it. The programming can be done entirely with it’s built in touchscreen.

For a fourth alternative, you also can use a Raspberry Pi computer with suitable interface hardware and software.

Comparison of MidiHub, BomeBox, and Sipario programming interface.

MidiHub

BomeBox

Sipario Touch Screen
Sipario%20Touchscreen

Prices:
MidiHub (pre-order) $130 (or so)
BomeBox $225
Sipario $320

ADDED (Sept 11): There’s a new competitor similar to this, just now up on Kickstarter. It’s from Conductive Labs, the maker of NDLR. It’s called MRCC (Midi Router Control Center). It’s likely to be priced somewhere around the BomeBox. See this Elektronauts thread.

ADDED: (Sept 15th): Actually the MRCC is set to retail at $350, even more than the Sipario!

ADDED: (Jan 28, 2020): There is a new expanded version of the Sipario in the works!

3 Likes

I put one on order for February. I see there’s another batch starting up for March.

What sold me was Loopop’s video @13:44 when he says,"… so suddenly I’m a much better piano player that I am".

3 Likes

I notice that Blokas has reached 1020% of their original goal, and have pushed out the latest group of pre-order offers to March. They’ll be pretty busy building and testing for quite a while.

Interested to see if this demand might inspire them eventually to do more pipes and functions in support.

3 Likes

I’m thinking about getting this thing. Mainly to use as a midi clock. I am interested in an ERM multiclock, but 500 quids is alot of money.
I see I wouldnt have the comfort of dedicated pots for changing the sync per port, but I think doing this in the software shouldnt be that big of a hassle. Probably a set and forget anyway.

I dont have experience with stuff like this yet. Maybe somebody can give me some info on this?

Well, no-one has one yet, so no-one will know how rock solid the timing of the clock is (which is the reason people get a Multiclock, I guess). If you’re only planning on using it for clocking, I’d wait to see what people think of it (compared to, say, using your existing gear’s own clock for timing)

2 Likes

thanks spikysimon. there are beta-testers around that I thought maybe could give some insight to this.
and maybe somebody else with experience with other midi clocks has something to say. like I said, I have no experience with midi clocks

1 Like

Following your post here I made some search on the Sipario. Watched a few videos, red the manual ( which is something I rarely do before purchase ) and took the plunge…

Wow ! Thank you ! Really !
This things absolutely changed my live setup approach !
I tried to emulate this with midi processors, a bome box and tons of mergers and never had something so flexible, intuitive and easy to setup !
The only thing which is approaching is a homemade nord g2 patch I made for realtime midi routing/filtering and mangling. Obviously not the same footprint and not easily customizable without a laptop and tons of virtual patchcables…

The keysplits are a breeze to use with the auto learn feature and the ability to send pchanges across the whole network instantly at the push of a button is just perfect !

Did I say thank you already ?

3 Likes

Got a Midihub update from Blokas today. Thought I’d share.

Fulfilment Estimates and Shipping

Compared to our initial plan we are couple of weeks behind on the PCB assembly pipeline as certification part took a bit longer than expected. Also issue with our Enclosure manufacturer could cost us another 3-to-4 weeks. No impact for February and March batches expected.

In general we are quite happy how the project is moving forward and we can’t wait to start shipping out Midihubs to you guys! If you have any questions, let us know on our community forums.

2 Likes

Blokas sent another update today – ship date is now set for late March. They have worked out the issue with the enclosure using a new manufacturer.

I’ve been spending the time blocking out various ideas for various midi effects, and watching the videos from Cylvester again. I’d love to hear if you’ve got some particular function you’ll be doing with your Midihub.

Also the pedal midi interface maker Audiofront announced today that they have a new version of their MIDI Expression iO product, a four pedal to DIN MIDI interface, that would work very nicely with the Midihub.

2 Likes