Blokas Midihub

Yes, it looks really worthwhile to have even if I keep using the BomeBox. MIDI Solutions web site says their programming software is only compatible on Mac with Mojave and earlier. I’ve emailed them. If it doesn’t work with Catalina, that will be a dealbreaker for me because my new laptops can’t be downgraded. I’d have to get desperate enough to buy a Windows laptop for a single purpose.

1 Like

You could post your questions to blokas forum in order to be sure.

1 Like

Crap, MIDI Solutions emailed me that none of their boxes work with the current version of MacOS, and they may might never be updated.

Catalina is from the devil I tell ya… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

yup, it seems to offer no particular advantage. I’m also locked out of BFD3, the best electronic emulation of acoustic drums I’ve ever come across. In fact, my present frustrating search for a MIDI router is all about adapting my drum controller to iOS drum apps, which aren’t going to be as good, and I still don’t have a reliable router that will do what I need.

But I’m stuck with Catalina because I absolutely had to get out from underneath Apple’s butterfly keyboards. I like my MacBook Pro 16 well enough (I bought a second one), but now I get this incompatibility bs ruining my life instead of endless trips to the genius bar for keyboard repairs.

Well i see few options for you:

A) Fix your BomeBox.
B) If there is a way to satisfy the velocity conversion problem on a Midihub use it.
C) Obtain the use of a Windows PC long enough to set up the MIDI Solutions Velocity Converter (MSVC) to satisfy your needs. The MSVC will remember its setup so you only need the Windows PC for an hour or two – maybe you could borrow one.
D) See if some other MIDI modifier will solve your problem. For instance the Conductive Labs MRCC (see this Elektronauts Thread) has some possibilities in this regard, though that is still under development and so you can’t know for sure on that yet.

Expect this thread to get very busy with Midihub usage discussion very soon, there is a wave of Midihubs on the way. Mine has now entered the US Postal Service, so i’m expecting it in a week or so.

I will be exploring the Midihub capabilities as soon as i get one. I will visit on velocty conversion along the way, but will spend most of my time with the 10,000 other things the Midihub will do – principally in the realm of generative music, where it’s strength lays.

3 Likes

Thanks @Jukka , I’ll watch this thread for people’s experience with the Midihub. Of course, I’ll buy one to try, but apparently there’s rather a long wait. t might end up being better than a Bome Box for my purposes even if my Bome Box starts working. In fact, my issue has gotten Florian Bomers himself involved, and they’ve even reproduced inexplicable erroneous behavior from my configuration file that they haven’t solved for months. I’ve actually spent quite a bit of money and time re-configuring my MIDI setup just to conform with what the tech support is more used to seeing, and it still fails. At some point, they need to admit the possibility that they sold me a defective unit and approach the problem that way. Yes, 99.999% of the time, the error is on the user’s side, but at some point…

The idea of getting a PC just to program the MiDI Solutions box is obviously unattractive. That box won’t do any of the other tricks that the Bome Box does, which I’ve come to almost need. But velocity re-mapping is an absolute necessity for me. And a PC would let me use BFD3, the 128-layer drum sample system that I’ve invested almost $1000 USD in.

1 Like

Can you program the box over linux? Raspberry pi zero costs around 10 bucks new. And it’s so small you could just leave it beside the box, or even glue it to it.

1 Like

I haven’t yet received mine, but the editor program works natively (and perfectly) in linux, so I think it will work without any problems.

Another option could be a small virtual machine on your mac

Is there a way to setup the editor to use existing midi I/O on the computer and process them directly without the hardware to test the possibilities ? This was doable with bomebox software, I was hoping it would be the same here but I did not find a way, maybe I’m missing something ?

Nope.

Yes the MidiHub editor runs on Windows, macOS, and Linux.

Just so that things are clear – discussion of a different product from a different company, the Velocity Converter from MIDI Solutions, got mixed in here. That product has an editor that only runs on a more limited range of computers, Windows and Mac up through Mojave. But that product has a very flexible system for velocity conversion.

1 Like

Finally after the shipment disappearing for almost three weeks (i think it may have been on a ship crossing the Atlantic) i got a message that the package is now 150 miles away. So given no disasters it should be here fairly soon !

Anyone get theirs yet ?

Mine shipped 5/14/20, and I just checked the tracking after your post, it arrived in the states last night. Tracking had been dormant since shipping. Hopefully getting here shortly!

1 Like

Yes mine is here, I haven’t tried it out yet though as been busy with other stuff. I did take it out of the packaging though- looks nicely put together

This is reassuring, as mine has also disappeared into the ether for several weeks.

… Checks tracking … And is now in Chicago (some transatlantic ship!). Yippee!

2 Likes

I hope I can get one soon. I didn’t preorder

Mine shipped 5/30/20, based on these replies I suppose it’ll be another 2 weeks before it arrives in the states.

I finally got around to setting mine up yesterday. Really happy with it! Love the design, the fact that you can store presets is great, and the editor is easy to use. At the moment I’m just using at as fairly basic midi thru and merge and filter but looking froward to getting more creative with it!

Anyone know if its possible to have different tempos being sent on different ports / channels using this thing?